Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

APOD: 2010 October 23 - Orion: Head to Toe

Cradled in cosmic dust and glowing hydrogen, stellar nurseries in Orion the Hunter lie at the edge of a giant molecular cloud some 1,500 light-years away. Spanning nearly 25 degrees, this breath-taking vista stretches across the well-known constellation from head to toe (left to right). The Great Orion Nebula, the closest large star forming region, is right of center. To its left are the Horsehead Nebula, M78, and Orion's belt stars. Sliding your cursor over the picture will also find red giant Betelgeuse at the hunter's shoulder, bright blue Rigel at his foot, and the glowing Lambda Orionis (Meissa) nebula at the far left, near Orion's head. Of course, the Orion Nebula and bright stars are easy to see with the unaided eye, but dust clouds and emission from the extensive interstellar gas in this nebula-rich complex, are too faint and much harder to record. In this mosaic of broadband telescopic images, additional image data acquired with a narrow hydrogen alpha filter was used to bring out the pervasive tendrils of energized atomic hydrogen gas and the arc of the giant Barnard's Loop.
If you click on the link when your mouse passes over the picture is superimposes the constellation's outline on the picture. It's pretty nifty.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Awesome! My favorite astronomical achievement was successfully finding the Horsehead nebula on my 4" Meade refractor. Orion's been my favorite constellation ever since.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Absolutely stunning imagery.

Space rocks. :metal:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I learned a month ago that the clouds aren't really that color they are just processed to look like that, seriously one of the most depressing things I have ever learned.

I want to believe in multicolored space clouds!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'd bet ~90% of the US population doesn't know they are false colorations :lol:

Sometimes you have to accept the truth :( no matter how soul crushing it is.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Absolutely stunning imagery.

Space rocks. :metal:
:yesway:

Never mind I anwsered my own damn question by READING the fucking thing :lol:

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
That's awesome, no two ways about it :)

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Orion is the only constellation that always catches my attention. I don't know why. It's either there when I gaze upward, or if I start looking at stars I always have to find where it's at. Weird.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Orion is the only constellation that always catches my attention. I don't know why. It's either there when I gaze upward, or if I start looking at stars I always have to find where it's at. Weird.
yeah same here.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I like Orion best whern I see it in the evening. At the moment I'm seeing it when I leave for work ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts