Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
That looks pretty awesome. I might even pick up an AppleTV for the airplay feature.
Hopefully it's priced the same as Lion.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can't wait for 10.723: oceanvolcano ocelot

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Hrm. When they have to have a bunch of nonsense apps as the features, I'm a little underwhelmed. Does anyone actually say "Oh hell yes! A new Notes!!!".

I'll upgrade as long as they undo the ridiculous "Reopen windows when logging back in" feature (heh) that they added in Lion. Or at least give us the option to permanently disable it. From what I can tell by Google and the usual OSX forums, pretty much nobody likes it.

Lion was worth it for Airdrop alone. A bunch of apps? I'm not so sure. They even have freakin' twitter listed. :lol:

The notification center does look pretty cool though. I think they realized that 99.9% of the OSX world runs Growl, and decided to just roll it in.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hrm. When they have to have a bunch of nonsense apps as the features, I'm a little underwhelmed. Does anyone actually say "Oh hell yes! A new Notes!!!".

I'll upgrade as long as they undo the ridiculous "Reopen windows when logging back in" feature (heh) that they added in Lion. Or at least give us the option to permanently disable it. From what I can tell by Google and the usual OSX forums, pretty much nobody likes it.

Lion was worth it for Airdrop alone. A bunch of apps? I'm not so sure. They even have freakin' twitter listed. :lol:

The notification center does look pretty cool though. I think they realized that 99.9% of the OSX world runs Growl, and decided to just roll it in.
The Airplay mirror feature is worth it alone, IMO.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
The iPhone-ification of OSX has begun. I won't be upgrading.

The Raging Sycophant John Gruber said:
My favorite Mountain Lion feature, though, is one that hardly even has a visible interface. Apple is calling it "Gatekeeper". It's a system whereby developers can sign up for free-of-charge Apple developer IDs which they can then use to cryptographically sign their applications. If an app is found to be malware, Apple can revoke that developer's certificate, rendering the app (along with any others from the same developer) inert on any Mac where it's been installed. In effect, it offers all the security benefits of the App Store, except for the process of approving apps by Apple. Users have three choices which type of apps can run on Mountain Lion:

Only those from the App Store
Only those from the App Store or which are signed by a developer ID
Any app, whether signed or unsigned
The default for this setting is, I say, exactly right: the one in the middle, disallowing only unsigned apps. This default setting benefits users by increasing practical security, and also benefits developers, preserving the freedom to ship whatever software they want for the Mac, with no approval process.

Call me nuts, but that's one feature I hope will someday go in the other direction - from OS X to iOS.
Fuck. No.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
So, all these non-App Store programs I have will have to be "cleared" with Mountain Lion? Fuck that!

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

I absolutely hate the direction that Apple is taking OS X.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
but you can set it so it's off and you can run both signed and unsigned apps right? So you can set it however you want. I imagine it will be nice for some people who aren't as savvy and want to be protected against "accidentally" installing malware? But for power users, turn gatekeeper off and install whatever you want.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:9.0) Gecko/20111216 Firefox/9.0 Fennec/9.0)

I want to go back to Snow Leopard. I hate what they did to the mouse gestures. Three swipes left or right used to be back and forward in a browser, and now I have it shut off because it does something annoying. I hate where operating systems on the desktops/laptops are headed, because if I wanted a tablet, I'd fucking buy one.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:9.0) Gecko/20111216 Firefox/9.0 Fennec/9.0)

I want to go back to Snow Leopard. I hate what they did to the mouse gestures. Three swipes left or right used to be back and forward in a browser, and now I have it shut off because it does something annoying. I hate where operating systems on the desktops/laptops are headed, because if I wanted a tablet, I'd fucking buy one.
Inclined to agree.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

I switched back to linux because fuck Lion. Fuck it. Mountain Lion looks like more of the shit.

I recently got a tablet and I love it for an internet device/laptop replacement, but for real work I want a real desktop OS. The next iMac will probably have a fucking touchscreen at this rate.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts

:agreed: I'm still on 10.6.8 and not sure I really want to upgrade to anything else at this point.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The iPhone-ification of OSX has begun. I won't be upgrading.

Fuck. No.
So, all these non-App Store programs I have will have to be "cleared" with Mountain Lion? Fuck that!
So......turn it off and allow anything to be installed. I don't really see what the problem is. Even the default setting allows any signed app (which means anyone with a $99 developer license) to be installed.

I mean, don't upgrade because the features don't appeal to you, but not upgrading because of GateKeeper when it's a non-issue is silly. The signed apps don't have to be cleared by Apple, they're just signed in XCode with the developer license, IIRC. If a developer is distributing malware, then the signature is revoked and OS X won't allow it to run. If you want to run it anyway, just turn off GateKeeper entirely.

The only real problem comes in when in future versions they only allow Mac App Store apps. Then yeah, that would suck.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:agreed: I'm still on 10.6.8 and not sure I really want to upgrade to anything else at this point.
I wish I had the option, but my Macbook shipped with Lion. Anyone know how to downgrade? Do actually have to go hunt down a Snow Leopard install DVD?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts