Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I have my external seagate goflex drive hooked up via firewire, my macbook pro shows being connected to wifi but refuses to load any webpages. Even if I just eject/unmount the drive it's the same thing, but as soon as I physically remove and disconnect the drive the internet connection works again immediately. If I hook up the drive via USB, no issues. I went into the network preferences and selected set service order and removed/moved firewire down the list and wifi to the top above firewire. Still the same issue.

Any help here guys? No idea what to do here.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sounds like it's trying to use the GoFlex as an internet device when it's connected via FW. Go to Network in System Preferences when the drive is connected via FW, see if it's saying anything in the Status window. If it is, click on the gear on the bottom left, and click "make service inactive". Hopefully that doesn't kill the drive storage device aspect of it. It might.

FW is also a network protocol, not just for connecting drives. However generally it shouldn't try to act as the sole interface, particularly if the drive obviously isn't dishing out valid IP information. I've never seen this happen, personally, and I use a lot of FW drives.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that and it seems to have helped a little. Sometimes it works, sometimes it runs slow, other times it's just froze. :-\ I know the next step is probably a clean install not restoring from a time machine backup which is a pain in the ass and I wanted to avoid doing if at all possible, but I don't know what else to do at this point.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
At least create a test account and login with it. That way you can see if it's an account issue or OS level issue. If it's an OS issue, you can try trashing *related* prefs inside HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration then reboot and set your interfaces up again in System Preferences/Network.

Also, I'm not familiar with Goflex. Is there any software associated with it that might be part of the issue? Any other 3rd party stuff you have installed?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted

I deleted all those related preference files as it one of the first things I thought to do. No third party or goflex software installed. Ill try the test account and see the results.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting update...it was working for a while, I moved recently and the problem came back. Here's the interesting bit:

It happens in Bootcamp on Windows 7 also.

Which leads me to believe it's hardware related, not OS or software related. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update for the previous update...

got to thinking, the drive works fine over usb, so the drive isn't the problem, looking for the common ground here it was going to be one of two things either the firewire port or the cable...swapped out the cable for another and so far so good! stupid hardware failures

1 - 7 of 7 Posts