Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest version of the MOTU driver that came out on 5/2 allows you to control the volume using the keyboard volume keys. The old driver would disable them, and the only way to turn the unit up/down was with the hardware button.

It works with my 828 MkII, as well as the Mk3, 8Pre, and probably a bunch of others as well.

:yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not that clever, unfortunately. It doesn't really control the main out - it controls the actual OSX volume sent to the interface itself. That actually works out better for me, because I can set the main out to a max volume, and then adjust the OSX volume within that boundary.

It's definitely a HUGE bonus though. There have been plenty of times where I've had my main volume loud, switched sources from something like Reaper (with low volume) to iTunes and then had to make the superman-dive to the volume knob to turn the damn thing down before my monitors explode. :lol:

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
It's not that clever, unfortunately. It doesn't really control the main out - it controls the actual OSX volume sent to the interface itself. That actually works out better for me, because I can set the main out to a max volume, and then adjust the OSX volume within that boundary.

It's definitely a HUGE bonus though. There have been plenty of times where I've had my main volume loud, switched sources from something like Reaper (with low volume) to iTunes and then had to make the superman-dive to the volume knob to turn the damn thing down before my monitors explode. :lol:
Been there done that. I have the same issue. In iTunes I have my volume normalized so its fairly loud to compensate, but when I kick in the metronome its a deafening click and fumbling for that tiny assd rotary knob only to see its set to headphones is mildly annoying.

Controlling volume into the interface will work better than not having the option at all right now.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which do you have? I have the 828 mkii, and to make things more maddening, the default action for the volume knob is to adjust the headphone volume. So whilst diving to turn my volume down, I have to make sure that I grab the correct nondescript black knob, tap it once to switch to main, and then turn it down.

One of the guys on the MOTU forum called it "tweezing", which is spot on, since you have to tweeze your fingers around the thing to adjust it. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts