Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i dont get the ozzy hate. the guy has a great catalog of stuff. granted the last 10 years have sucked, but they guy IS like 110 after all

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont get the ozzy hate.
He's a shitty singer.

the guy has a great catalog of stuff.
All of his material was written by other people, including the lyrics. He has easily been the worst part of everything he has ever been involved in. That's really saying something, considering he once did a duet with Lita Ford.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same Sabbath music, same Sabbath lyrics, different Sabbath singer = WIN

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Ozzy was never a great singer, but if you go back and listen to some Sabbath live stuff from the '70s, he wasn't terrible either. Forty years of extreme self abuse essentially ruined him as a performer, though.

After watching that, I'd normally say that Ozzy should throw a big pile of money at Iommi and Butler and do whatever they tell him to in the studio, just like the old days. But I think he's beyond redemption as a singer; Iommi and Butler can do way better. Like working with Jorn Lande or Russell Allen, for instance.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ozzy's name sells records, and Iommi/Butler and co are at the point in their career where they want to cash in. No shame there. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Sabbath "reunion album".

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Ozzy's name sells records, and Iommi/Butler and co are at the point in their career where they want to cash in. No shame there. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Sabbath "reunion album".
They've already tried that once, and it didn't work out.

I would be less surprised if they toured together again in a few years, though. Albums are a declining financial proposition, anyway. They could put out a proper DVD of '70s performances and have something profitable to tour behind.

Or, better yet Ian Gillan (or even Glenn Hughes for that matter).
Ian's already got an extremely full-time gig, and Glenn is pretty well booked-up for probably a year or so. Glenn would be a logical candidate for an Iommi/Butler project of some kind, but I would prefer to see them bring in some new blood. That's assuming Geezer even wants to work with Iommi outside the context of Heaven & Hell or Sabbath.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
They've already tried that once, and it didn't work out.

I would be less surprised if they toured together again in a few years, though. Albums are a declining financial proposition, anyway. They could put out a proper DVD of '70s performances and have something profitable to tour behind.

Ian's already got an extremely full-time gig, and Glenn is pretty well booked-up for probably a year or so. Glenn would be a logical candidate for an Iommi/Butler project of some kind, but I would prefer to see them bring in some new blood. That's assuming Geezer even wants to work with Iommi outside the context of Heaven & Hell or Sabbath.
God this just reminded me of a funny Black Sabbath related story that happened to me this year.

I'm a music student at MSU (Montana State University), and during the spring semester I had a class called Music Appreciation (which is pretty much a BS class for anyone, much less a music student, to take, but I was taking it to fill a core). Anyways, this class is my last class on a friday and as such I do the normal thing and show up completely fucking loaded. Anyways, since it was the last week before finals and we had finished covering the material our teacher got a "local blues band" to play as a "treat" for us. Anyways one of the faculty members is introducing the members and the lead singers name is Dave Walker (rest of the band are just local no names), and he starts reading off his history as being an ex-member of Fleetwood Mac and Savoy Borwn, anyways he's wrapping up his speech and my drunk mind finally realizes where I recognize the name from (don't care about FM or SB) and I stand up, shit-faced drunk, and yell at the Music Faculty Member (percussion professor), "Dave was also in Black Sabbath, like the Black Sabbath, for a period of of about a month before Ozzy rejoined for Never Say Die!". Anyways the professor just laughs and says, "Thats Garrett, our resident heavy metal guy." and finishes the introduction. Anyways, I don't remember much, but my less intoxicated friends tell me that Dave shot me a serious evil eye at this point. Anyways, halfway through the concert the thought hits me that it would be cool to have him sign one of my Black Sabbath shirts, so I run back to my dorm and change into the only one that isn't explicitly Ozzy or Dio and head back to the auditorium before he wraps up his set. My friends and I get up on stage after the set has ended and the class has started to leave and I politely ask him (my friends said that it was more in a yelling across the stage sort of way) if he'll "Do me the honor of signing my Sabbath shirt", anyways I try to chat him up about Sabbath for like ten minutes and all his answers are "I suppose so.","Everyone was out of their minds back than.", and "I don't remember that period at all.". Anyways I ask him to take a picture with my friends and I of us throwing up the horns and him pointing at my Sabbath shirt, which turned out to be utterly hilarious because he looks super reluctant in the picture. Anyways, I thank him for playing and as I turn my back to walk away he says "Thats how it goes, you shake their hands .......and........they walk away." which is kind of :rofl: and :frown: at the same time.

Anyways, my friends and were buying furniture for an apartment at wall-mart a couple weeks later and he's infront of us in the checkout. I ask him if he remembers me as the annoying black sabbath fan and he says yes :lol: He was buying some $45 plastic patio table and he was five dollars short, so I covered the rest for him.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts