Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this as an Xmas present from my brother yesterday, and just finished watching it.

It's really interesting, as a lot of it focuses more on his practice habits, particularly regarding his jazz studies, and how he explores chord voicings, and applies jazz-based thinking to his writing in Helmet. There's a also a big section on effects, which is really fascinating to watch, especially the part where he demonstrates a bit of music he did for a filmscore, where he orchestrated a guitar part that was most just swirls and feedback from his modulation effects. He's also got a really interesting way of using a wah pedal to generate feedback and overtones while he's playing.
At the end there's a four-song studio concert by Helmet, which is great viewing in its own right.

The only thing I would have liked to see is a section on how he approaches rhythm in his riff-writing, as there wasn't really anything on that.

All in all, highly recommend it!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've never been really into Helmet, and didn't think he was as schooled a guitarist as this hints at. Is there some jazzy goodness hidden in Helmet that I haven't heard?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Page did a little bit on Betty but he has never used it a lot. Still Page is one of my favorite rhythm players ever.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never been really into Helmet, and didn't think he was as schooled a guitarist as this hints at. Is there some jazzy goodness hidden in Helmet that I haven't heard?
He's really schooled in terms of his jazz studies and theoretical knowledge, but he says himself that most of the stuff he does in Helmet tends to be based on happy accidents that he analyses later on. The only place I'd really say it's a bit more obvious in Helmet's output is in some of the denser chord voicings he use that tend to actually be twiddled-with jazz voicings (I posted an example in the thread on chords for metal).
Even if you're not really a fan of Helmet I'd still reccomend it, as a lot of the stuff he goes into would be applicable in a lot of different situations.:)

·
GoDDDammit.
196 Posts
I really don't get who they're marketing the DVD to - the average jazz fan isn't gonna turn to the dude from Helmet for jazz theory and despite the fact that it has EXPANDING ROCK VOCABULARY on the box it doesn't directly feature any rock guitar stuff. That being said, I enjoyed finally being able to hear him play some jazz after hearing him talk about it for all these years. The concepts he goes over aren't too advanced in their own right but he explains them with the assumption that the viewer will have a basic understanding of jazz theory so it might not be for complete beginners, especially as he spends far more time talking than playing:lol: To summarise: Page rules.

The bridge to Milquetoast is probably the most direct example of him dropping in upper tensions and shit but he never breaks into straight-up noodling or chord melodies or anything.

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
I like some of helmet's stuff, but I think what really keeps me from getting into them is their tone. They use too much distortion for me, I always want them to roll back on the gain and crank the mids up on the guitars.

Still I've watched him just jam a couple of times and he is a killer guitarist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts