·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Is that link supposed to do something?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was. But I'm guessing they are now blocking hotlinks to that vid. So I just put up another link where you can see it.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Thanks! :wub:

That video does look cool. Page Hamilton is a pretty unusual player. I dig his style a lot.

That strat does rule.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Judging by the video on the link, he's gonna delve into his jazz chops. For those that don't know, he does have a jazz music degree from college. ;)

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Great, another one for the shopping list!:lol:

Looks really interesting, and on top of that, this thread has inspired me to check out Helmet again!

·
GoDDDammit.
196 Posts
I was thinking about this just the other day, nice to see it's out:yesway: That "Super Chops" bit has me curious as I can't think of a single moment in the Helmet discography that really requires a lot of skill. I don't doubt that he has it, but he's the last guy I'd expect to be teaching it.

Great, another one for the shopping list!:lol:

Looks really interesting, and on top of that, this thread has inspired me to check out Helmet again!
Everything upto and including Aftertaste is worth checking out:yesway: Start with the debut and move forward. The albums since they reformed aren't much chop, though. He also did an free jazz/noise album with Caspar Brotzmann called Zulutime which is decent if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so it finally arrived in the mail and I went through it quickly this morning. Initial impressions? Firstly, I think a lot of people who were assuming this was going to be a "here's how I play the line to (insert song here)" instructional are going to be disappointed. Page doesn't do any runthroughs of Helmet songs. Rather he spends the majority of the DVD going over various chord shapes and progressions. The other part of the program covers his approach to effects, and also his practice regimen.

I was thinking about this just the other day, nice to see it's out:yesway: That "Super Chops" bit has me curious as I can't think of a single moment in the Helmet discography that really requires a lot of skill. I don't doubt that he has it, but he's the last guy I'd expect to be teaching it.
This actually turned out to be his application of Howard Robert's book "Super Chops - Jazz Guitar Technique in 20 Weeks". Which Page says several times on the DVD that he's a HUGE Howard Roberts fan. He mentions that Howard's book still influences the way he practices to this very day. The book is long out of print. But it's been posted as a pdf file on various forums and newsgroups if anyone want's to check it out.

Overall. This is a good DVD to pick up if you're interested in Page's approach to scale tones and chord voicings (drop tunings are included). But forget it if you're looking to find out how to play certain Helmet songs. It's presented in more of a clinic fashion, than an actual walkthrough of theory and technique. If there's anything to critique, it would be that he tends to blow through the chord shapes he demonstrates. And since there's no tab or real notation (the included pdfs are just charts). Either you know this stuff, or you dont. Although considering how Hal Leonard tends to release a companion book for most of their DVD releases. I wouldn't be surprised if a tab/notation book for this eventually gets released.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Interesting review...

Might check for this when I go out later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts