Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this tele body, and it'll be a while before I have a neck and parts for it, but I figure I can go ahead and figure out what I want to do with it. I like the natural look, but the alder is quite bland and has one glued on piece that is a darker. I just need some ideas of some cool finishes that I could possibly do with rattle cans (no paint equipment) and would not be hard to do. What if I bleached the wood and then stained it? Would that look cool? Never bleached wood before.

Here's the body in question:

Also keep in mind it'll have a maple board, reversed headstock, and a slanted bridge humbucker by the time it is done.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
That looks like ash, not alder...

Because it's a multipiece body, I'd be more inclined to paint it...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Yeah that "top" part that's all dark looking will screw it up a bit. You could stain it and put a heavy black burst around the edges to soften that transition if you really want to stain...

It's definitely ash, except for that top board? Maybe that's a dark piece of alder?... :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I've seen some folks doing metal flake finishes with spray cans. Maybe some sort of sparkly white?

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Oh yeah, paint that up a nice metallic of some sort. Candy apple red with that black guard would look boss.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm leaning towards paint but I did a little research on bleaching wood and I could possibly bleach it to make it the same color, and lighter almost white to accept the stain better. Was thinking that plus some crazy color grain filler and stain and then tung oil. I've got no paint tools so I want something easy.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

7 Strings of Hate said:
you dont have to grain fill if you dont want to if your just doing a tung oil finish.
i prefer tru oil to tung oil personally
Well the only reason I would fill the grain is to have the grain be a different color than the rest of the body, like those gibson voodoo guitars but not black and red.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

No one else has ever tried bleaching wood? I can't find any good pics of finished guitars. Guess I need to get some scrap wood and do some testing.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
With that kind of color variation, it's unlikely you'll get it to match much. I'd go solid color myself, maybe with some metal flake.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Josh said:
With that kind of color variation, it's unlikely you'll get it to match much. I'd go solid color myself, maybe with some metal flake.
I was thinking veneer it since its a flat top, and bleach the veneer and then just tung oil the whole thing.

I've veneered a guitar before, it didn't turn out too well but I know how to fix what I did wrong and it won't take much money for paint equipment to do this project, just need veneer, glue, bags of sand, and wood bleach. I'm not ruling out paint or metal flake at all, I've got some time before I get the hardware and neck. I want to do something pretty easy but still unique. I downloaded the paint your own guitar ebook and I don't know if I have the patience for all that tbh haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts