Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get questions about these units on YouTube from time to time, and one guy asked if I could compare the same settings on both units, and a clip of the PDI-03 as a DI into some impulses with just my Engl head into it. Challenge accepted! Since I have a month off work, I'm happy to get stuck into some video making.

Edit: also representin' with my retina-burning orange Got Metal? shirt :metal:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make a fucking album already. :mad:
I'm trying, man. Just can't muster the material together. These two riffs are from a complete-ish song. That's the best I got these day :\

Redwirez>PDI-03>PGA-04, IMO. Fantastic video, great playing!
Definitely, man. I do like the speaker simulation on these units, but they simulate a cab, not a mic'd cab. Everything sounds a little loose and unrefined, although perhaps others can coax good, tight sounds out of them. I've recorded everything with impulses instead of their simulation.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Oh... my apologies then. :ugh:

FWIW, I loved all the riffs. And the bass tone is still significantly better than that on all my amazing YT recordings *crickets*

My favorite tone was the Redwirez at the opening. You have those Palmers for recording or were you using them pre-amp->sim->board live or wha'?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
After listening to it again, both the Redwirez and PDI-03 sound good, but that PGA sounds pretty awful. I wonder why it's so different?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was part of what had me interested in doing this comparison, seeing what the differences are. The PGA-04 has an extra feature that the PDI-03 doesn't. Something called a Brown and Lite switch. I think it's meant to simulate closed and open back. But it's a case of choosing one or the other, not neither. So you can't get quite the same filter set-up as the PDI-03. Weird, as Palmer state they're pretty much the same unit.

Oh... my apologies then. :ugh:

FWIW, I loved all the riffs. And the bass tone is still significantly better than that on all my amazing YT recordings *crickets*

My favorite tone was the Redwirez at the opening. You have those Palmers for recording or were you using them pre-amp->sim->board live or wha'?
I bought the PGA-04 for recording my amps. Never used it live (not been in a big enough band really haha). It has a fault and is going back to Palmer for repair, and I bought a PDI-03 to see me through whilst it's away (but I'll sell the PGA once its back).

They're also a loadbox, so you don't need to use just the preamp of your amp, a nice feature. You can use the onboard speaker sim and feed a desk/interface, but I much prefer using its DI out option and running an impulse file.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
This makes me miss the 04 I had, I didn't really give it a chance :(
Nice comparison though man, good idea. I actually had no idea they were that differently voiced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts