Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at this again...

Palmer speaker simulator stuff is about half the price of the ISO cabs.

The Axe trak, not sure, but i know mike had/has one?

The Randall one, yes, noiser, but can add microphones and switch out the speaker?

Or is it just best to build on of the buggers?

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I've never used an isolation cab, but I've heard the Palmer in real life and it sounds very good.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Satriani got great results out of a Palmer on "Engines of Creation," evidently, but less so for the next couple albums. I think he's back to micing now - the tones on Satchafunkus or whateverthefuckitscalled are definitely way better.

...which leads me to wonder, EOC was still pre-Peavey, when he was using Marshall 6100 heads as his main setup. The Emulated Out from the 6100 also made its way onto the TSL100, and honestly that emulated out is the best "direct amp" sound I've ever heard. So, if that's your only concern, as a guy who admits to digging at least the DSL series, maybe try and snag a TSL or 6100?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
EVH used to use the Palmer to get his live sound. He'd use one amp and then run the outs from the Palmer into H&H power amps to power multiple cabinets. Eddie's live tones from this era were pretty damn good. Of course like Stach he was using Marshalls at the time. But if I'm not mistaken your VHT is more Marshall than Mesa in tone.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, it's what I am thinking, and basically it's for home recording as I'd love to be able to use the VHT at home, and it looks like a viable solution that is a bit better than an iso cab in terms of space, but, still, and iso cab would be cool, but, at the same time i am picky about speakers, and have one of my beloved celestion 85's (a spare) lying around not doing anything.

:/

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Looking at this again...

Palmer speaker simulator stuff is about half the price of the ISO cabs.

The Axe trak, not sure, but i know mike had/has one?

The Randall one, yes, noiser, but can add microphones and switch out the speaker?

Or is it just best to build on of the buggers?
The AxeTrak was initially promising, but ultimately disappointing for recording. It would probably be good for low-volume live performance applications, but it had a lower-mid "hump" I could never dial out.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
For home (recording or practice) use I'd get a proper load box and run the (reduced) amp signal into a computer, using something like Boogex to process it through a good impulse or two.

Jeff

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
For home (recording or practice) use I'd get a proper load box and run the (reduced) amp signal into a computer, using something like Boogex to process it through a good impulse or two.

Jeff
I was never that thrilled with the tones I got out of impulses, compared to my Palmer. Maybe I had crap impulses, I don't know. The Palmer just sounded more "organic" and real.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
The Palmers seem a little less 'alive' to me compared to great impulses. If you need the GuitarHack impulses I can send those to you... I won't even think of using anything else until a little package called Recabinet comes around...

Jeff

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The Palmers seem a little less 'alive' to me compared to great impulses. If you need the GuitarHack impulses I can send those to you... I won't even think of using anything else until a little package called Recabinet comes around...

Jeff
Yeah if you could point me in that direction or send them, that'd be cool. If nothing else, I'd love to be able to do multiple tracks.....some impulses, some Palmer, for different tones.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, but which plug in do i need to use them? These are power amp + speaker + mic impulses yeah?

Which one is a good one to start with?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Cool, but which plug in do i need to use them? These are power amp + speaker + mic impulses yeah?

Which one is a good one to start with?

Voxengo Boogex
and KeFIR. I use the latter, and it does pretty well. I'm anxious to get started with the ones Jeff pointed me to, because while the concept is cool, the impulses I had previously were rather lackluster.

And I believe they're mostly cabinet+mike, not power amp. At least that's what mine were. I run the DC-5 into the Hot Plate, then into the speaker. The Hot Plate has an adjustable line out, which captures both the pre and power amp of course. That goes into the computer, and then has the impulse applied as a VST.

·
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Voxengo Boogex
and KeFIR. I use the latter, and it does pretty well. I'm anxious to get started with the ones Jeff pointed me to, because while the concept is cool, the impulses I had previously were rather lackluster.

And I believe they're mostly cabinet+mike, not power amp. At least that's what mine were. I run the DC-5 into the Hot Plate, then into the speaker. The Hot Plate has an adjustable line out, which captures both the pre and power amp of course. That goes into the computer, and then has the impulse applied as a VST.
Right, i followed these instructions, plugged VHT into hotplate, then into soundcard and KeFIR. Loaded an impulse, added a the bright switch to add some top end and...

WOW! This shit is awesome! I am really digging it, totally cool guitar sound with minimal tweaking!

So, to both of you, many thanks, as I think this is now my new favorite way of recording, it blows the sound of the pod out of the water!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Right, i followed these instructions, plugged VHT into hotplate, then into soundcard and KeFIR. Loaded an impulse, added a the bright switch to add some top end and...

WOW! This shit is awesome! I am really digging it, totally cool guitar sound with minimal tweaking!

So, to both of you, many thanks, as I think this is now my new favorite way of recording, it blows the sound of the pod out of the water!
Cool! Glad it works well. BTW do you have a POD? If you do, disable the speaker cabs and use KeFIR with the impulses instead, but still with the amp models. It'll be the best sounding POD you've ever heard, and nice to have some tone variety in addition to your VHT. It makes it pretty clear where Line 6 falls short.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The AxeTrak was initially promising, but ultimately disappointing for recording. It would probably be good for low-volume live performance applications, but it had a lower-mid "hump" I could never dial out.
:agreed:

It also has huge phase cancellation issues. I tried using it in the effects loop of my Axe-FX together with the internal cabinet simulators, and turning the Axe Trak up and down in the mix was literally like using a wah-wah pedal.

You're better off going with a POD. That also applies to any of the analog speaker simulators out there. There's just something missing in the sound they deliver, which is really noticeable on recent Satriani albums.

Those PC 'impulses' are really just digital speaker cabinet simulators, aren't they? The Axe-FX with the current firmware has the ability to add user-created cabinet impulses also, and a number of folks have modeled their own cabinets, including room-miked cabs, and uploaded them to the Axe-FX exchange site. Since I don't record using a PC, I haven't gotten into that stuff, but it's undoubtedly a better solution than a Palmer or an Axe Trak.

Honestly, though, you can get good results with any of the modelers if you tweak them. Jennifer Batten records and plays through a GNX-3000 and gets great results, though her live rig includes a Mesa power amp into a direct box (not the Palmer).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts