Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas, two part post here.

Background: I lost my Droid on a Lufthansa in Frankfurt, Germany several days ago and they have not yet "found" the phone, implying to me that they're not going to. Either my neighbor swiped it, the cleaning crew swiped it, or they did a shitty job looking and it's bounced back and forth across the world a few times and somebody has, likely, by now swiped it. :lol:

Eins: I've suspended the phone line, and as it's a CDMA product won't function in most places outside the US anyway. HOWEVER, it's a fucking smartphone and has access to my Google cloud. I can imagine that there is also important information cached somewhere inside this phone, such as passwords. Can anybody advise on how I should resolve this security matter, assuming I don't ever get the phone back?

Zwei: The woman is buying me a new phone for my birthday in one month when I can get promo pricing again. Will be staying with Verizon. Droid 2 or Droid X?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I quickly changed my Google password, but any bright or advanced ideas past that?

Droid X seems pretty wicked, BTW. Sorta large, but only because it has a pretty big screen.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Don't you have a passcode on it?

It's a bit late now, but there are several security apps that can locate where your lost phone is, backup data, delete all info etc.

I made a thead about tasker some days ago. I'm pretty sure you can set it up to lock down the phone just by sending a sms with some codeword of your liking..

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't you have a passcode on it?

It's a bit late now, but there are several security apps that can locate where your lost phone is, backup data, delete all info etc.

I made a thead about tasker some days ago. I'm pretty sure you can set it up to lock down the phone just by sending a sms with some codeword of your liking..
There was no pattern password on it, because I found it inconvenient for silencing purposes and the passcode can be hacked through anyway. :facepalm:

I learned about these apps too late. :(

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Change your passwords, you'll be fine. The Droid X is the phone I'd choose right now, but the Droid 2 Global will be out soon and if I'm not mistaken has been bumped up to 1.2ghz, so that'd be the one if it's out when you're ready to buy.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Droid X or Galaxy S. I don't really care for physical keyboards though.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Droid X or Galaxy S. I don't really care for physical keyboards though.
Thanks guys.

The X certainly has my attention. I liked the physical keyboard on my Droid, but it was lame in that you can't put a good case on the phone. I'd like to get an Otterbox when they come out for the X now.

The Droid 2 supposedly suffers from some of the same bullshit that the Droid did, i.e. a shitty camera. The X is supposed to be better.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the UI - Gizmodo says it's a pile of steaming crap compared to Sense. I could go with the Incredible...

I liked the "raw" Android UI in the Droid except for some sluggish transitions.

Tell me what the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate is so cool. Looks weak on paper.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Thanks guys.

The X certainly has my attention. I liked the physical keyboard on my Droid, but it was lame in that you can't put a good case on the phone. I'd like to get an Otterbox when they come out for the X now.

The Droid 2 supposedly suffers from some of the same bullshit that the Droid did, i.e. a shitty camera. The X is supposed to be better.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the UI - Gizmodo says it's a pile of steaming crap compared to Sense. I could go with the Incredible...

I liked the "raw" Android UI in the Droid except for some sluggish transitions.

Tell me what the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate is so cool. Looks weak on paper.
IMO Motoblur on the Droid X/2 is very light, it's like a slightly skinned vanilla Android. Supposedly the Droid 2 is slow for some reason, while the Droid X is snappy, even though they have identical cpu/gpu specs. The Droid X is a very fast phone, and honestly, I like the Motoblur homescreen. Friend of mine has one and it's a very nice phone...

The Fascinate is a good phone, but Verizon did something stupid with it... They made it a Bing phone, no Google search widget, not sure how far it goes beyond that. Touchwiz is also pretty sluggish, getting rid of that would be first priority, but I'm not sure how many Fascinate roms are out there. The Galaxy S line is one helluva performer, the GPU in it is the fastest in a mobile device currently.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuck Bing, and fuck ROMs... I want to buy the phone and have it work properly. :lol: I'll play with an X.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts