Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
EdgeAxe 1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a passive equivalent to the Seymour Duncan Blackouts? I have them in my main guitar which is an Ibanez S520ex . I just bought an Ibanez S470 with the intention of it becoming my back up guitar. I would like it to sound the same but go with a passive setup rather than active. Thoughts?

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Duncan Distortions may be what your looking for.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
DiMarzio D-Activators are usually referred to as the passive pickups for guys who like active pickups.
Yep. Also: never talked about, the Scott Ian Seymour Duncan's have a pretty compressed dynamic range, and do everything pretty well.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
While all these pickups sound 'active' to some, if you want a pickup with super high output and all those huge low mids the blackouts have, try a duncan invader.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Agreed with the Invader or Distortion. The D-Activator will sound more like an EMG than Blackouts.

Maybe also the X2N. In my opinion, the Blackouts sound more like over-the-top passive pickups than actives.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

^ Right? They even come in passive route housings. :lol:

·
EdgeAxe 1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you read the original post, I am looking for a passive equivalent to blackouts- Probably because I want the same sound but not active.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
If you read the original post, I am looking for a passive equivalent to blackouts- Probably because I want the same sound but not active.
Duncan Distortion, Dimarzio D-Activators, Duncan Invader, and Dimarzio X2N take your pick.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I don't understand the point here. If that's the sound you want, just get the same pickups. :shrug:
Are you really so bothered by the battery that you need to go passive? :scratch:

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
I don't understand the point here. If that's the sound you want, just get the same pickups. :shrug:
Are you really so bothered by the battery that you need to go passive? :scratch:
This too is just a battery.

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
What? :lol:
I meant it's just a battery is the difference. OP you haven't really been putting any input into what your specifically looking for in a pickup your description is so vague.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So, if it's tight, focused and hotter than hell passive pickups, Tom Anderson. H1- in the neck pulled up really close and an H2+ or H3 in the bridge.

Or if you got a budget and some patience, check out Motor City Pickups. They are a bit more articulate than most actives are going to be though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts