Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pretty Oblivious
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just simply looking for a passive alternative to active that just sounds very rich and full, with nice clarity, but with plenty of bite and growl, for a tone reference im looking for Listen to Terror On The High Seas by Alestorm, thanks guys

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dani from Alestorm uses EMGs so I'd probably try a D Activator since it's supposed to react similar to active pickups.

·
Pretty Oblivious
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dani from Alestorm uses EMGs so I'd probably try a D Activator since it's supposed to react similar to active pickups.
I wrote this post very hastily so I neglected to go into detail ahah, basically, The guitar I'm going to purchase next (Ibanez MTM10) Is stock with the active Duncan designed HB-105MT sig pups, which I don't particularly care for, (I've owned an MTM2 as well) They're just too gainy and muddy, and I cant decide on Actives, and i just dont llike he battery aspect.. and yeah I know Dani uses EMG's but i dont know what his tone secret is.. I love it ahaha

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I wrote this post very hastily so I neglected to go into detail ahah, basically, The guitar I'm going to purchase next (Ibanez MTM10) Is stock with the active Duncan designed HB-105MT sig pups, which I don't particularly care for, (I've owned an MTM2 as well) They're just too gainy and muddy, and I cant decide on Actives, and i just dont llike he battery aspect.. and yeah I know Dani uses EMG's but i dont know what his tone secret is.. I love it ahaha
I'm not sure why people are ever put off by the battery concept. I change *both* batteries in my guitar about once every six months, and even then the batteries probably last longer than that anyway. If that's the sound you want, just suck it up a buy a 9V twice a year. Or once a year! I've heard they come in packs of two now! A fine time to be alive, indeed. :agreed:

·
Pretty Oblivious
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure why people are ever put off by the battery concept. I change *both* batteries in my guitar about once every six months, and even then the batteries probably last longer than that anyway. If that's the sound you want, just suck it up a buy a 9V twice a year. Or once a year! I've heard they come in packs of two now! A fine time to be alive, indeed. :agreed:
I don't hate Actives, it's just that half of my guitars have active pups and they all seem to go at the same time... and batteries are expensive... :rofl: I Do like the SD Blackout EMTYs, but it would kinda overkill the signature aspect.. i dont even really care for slipknot, i just like the guitar and the pickups :rofl:

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I'm just saying that if the Alestorm dude uses EMGs and that's the sound you want, get EMGs. It's a simple problem to solve. :yesway:

·
Pretty Oblivious
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just saying that if the Alestorm dude uses EMGs and that's the sound you want, get EMGs. It's a simple problem to solve. :yesway:
Aye yes, Well, most on here should know about me and my clusterfuck brain and poor decisive skills :rofl:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
:agreed: I changed the batteries for my actives every 6 months, and that's with solid gigging. Usually it's once a year otherwise.

If you're set on passives then go with a D-Activator set. They more or less nail the EMG tone. I ruled out the Bareknuckles. If you're not willing to spend on battery changes, then forget boutique pickups modelled after EMGs! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts