Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all think of this?

Useful? All gimmick? I like the idea of it, but not sure how often you guys rearrange your board. I don't now b/c it's a pain in the ass to refit/wire everything so it might be good for that, but also, most of my effects are in their "standard" positions all the time so not sure i actually would ever really need to reroute that much. I've certainly bought dumber things that cost more.

Is your pedalboard brain-dead? The Patchulator 8000 pedalboard patchbay provides a tangle-free way to change the order of your effects to create new tones using little to no brainpower! With the provided mini cables, just patch signal from your guitar or bass into (and out of) each effect, then back out to your amp or mixer. Invent new and interesting sounds while your synapses are firing, simply by rearranging the sequence of effects! All your gear and cabling stays put. Oh, and any effect not patched is "truly" bypassed… Genius!

Are your cables giving you a brain tumor? In the world of electronic music, the Patchulator 8000 desktop patchbay becomes a powerful nerve center for your instruments, allowing you to share and swap effects all around your setup, without needing to solve a brainteaser. Just connect your keyboards, synthesizers, samplers, drum machines (or any sound source) to a few channels, then fill the other channels with your effects' ins and outs. Using the mini patch cables, you can then route any of the effects into and out of the signal path of any instrument, just like a real patch bay! Hmmm… what will you mastermind?

In the world of modular synthesizers, the Patchulator 8000 is the brainstem between your modules and outboard gear, since it uses both standard and mini phono plugs. So if your brain tissue needs some electro-stimulation, simply inject control voltages and audio signals directly from your modular into effects units and chains. Better yet, use two Patchulator 8000s and seriously expand your cranial capacity! Whatever it is that you can brainstorm - guitar pedals and studio effects, synths and samplers, grooveboxes and drum machines, modulars and modulation signals, mixers and recording interfaces - the Patchulator 8000 allows it all to interconnect.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I get why they went for the look they did, and I know why a patchbay would be useful, but it is ugly as shit. I wouldn't put that on my board, and I have 2 pedals with animals throwing up as graphics on mine; so my taste is ridiculous to begin with.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I get why they went for the look they did, and I know why a patchbay would be useful, but it is ugly as shit. I wouldn't put that on my board, and I have 2 pedals with animals throwing up as graphics on mine; so my taste is ridiculous to begin with.
It's supposed to look like that dude, modular synth/euro rack gear, with patch cables going everywhere, is in right now.

You could do the whole thing with printed PCBs way cheaper.

Even without PCBs, you could do railroad style switching with contacts housed inside the box that would be less cluttered looking, the cluttered look is the point.

You can get the exact same sound being produced in this picture on a $100 Chromebook running a badly outdated version of Reaper, in fact you can do way more, you don't need specialized hardware to produce sine waves, people just like the fashion aspect of having cords going everywhere.

The patchulator in the OP is not designed to be practical. It's purposefully designed to be impractical in a fashionable way to appeal to hipsters. Pedalboard connoisseurs are the most hipstery demographic there is.

That complex looking rack setup with the colored cables going everywhere is probably producing something like a monophonic square wave.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You can tell the product in the OP is some hipstery piece of shit, because fitting that many jacks in that tight an area means you have to use substandard jacks and cables that are less than optimal for transmitting signals.

The cables used in the OP are wimpy shit meant for transmitting shit like a shitty hipster bitcrushed tone from a Tele 72 2H Reissue for a shitty Weezer/Muse cover set.

For the price they want for that, the interior wiring better be awesome, and there better be good shielding, considering that parts wise it's just a bunch of these. Which are cheap as fuck to buy in bulk.

Those cables are fine for eurorack shit, because they are just transmitting sine waves/glorified sign waves, there is a reason most people use thicker gauges for guitar cables.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Half the fun of the old patch synths is plugging random shit into other random shit to see what it sounds like. This is . . . kind of meh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts