Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most will :dgaf: (I pretty much don't either), but this is an, uh, interesting move...

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Bit by the "Imagine Dragon" I suppose... but they really always kinda sucked shit. Fuck the '90s. Rot in peace.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Not everyone can AC/DC their whole career haha.

As someone who doesn't care about pearl jam, I have no feelings about this.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Not everyone can AC/DC their whole career haha.

As someone who doesn't care about pearl jam, I have no feelings about this.

Best thing about Pearl Jam:
Jeff Ament did stuff with Robbi Robb that was cool (Three Fish, Tribe After Tribe) but that stuff didn't suck ass so, yeah.

This sucks ass. Fuck grunge and fuck Imagine Dragons cover bands. I hate both of these genres equally.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Ten was a legitimate good album. That's it.

This is um... :nope:
Yep. Ten was an outstanding hard rock album, utterly unlike anything else in their catalog. It's the only Pearl Jam album I like.

I'm not even gonna listen to the new one.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Eh, vedder is 55 years old and has had an incredible career doing whatever the hell he wants with his band. I don't like the song in the OP, but if he does then more power to him. Metallica tried to stick to their roots and now they have way more terrible albums than they do good ones.

His fans will buy it anyway and they'll sell out everywhere like they always do. I'm not a big PJ fan at all but I loved the Twenty documentary. Vedder is still that dude in high school that just wants to play shows with his buddies. I don't like his music but he's an easy guy to like.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
which one was the album with "Alive" on it? That one was good. Besides that, not so much.
Not caring for anything new they are doing. Not even clicking on this if Imagine Dragons are listed as reference, fuck this forever.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
which one was the album with "Alive" on it?
Ten. It's the one with all the good PJ songs; Alive, Jeremy, Black, and Even Flow, just to mention the hits.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Or Uneven Discharge

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I was going to :dgaf: but I’m surprised. As a big Peter Gabriel fan I actually like this track. Eddie’s vocals actually work really good here.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Pearl Jam was my first favorite band for an incredibly brief period after I had just turned 13. I'm not even kidding. :lol: I'm still super embarrassed about it.

It's weird because, even at the time I was telling people Pearl Jam was my favorite band, I didn't actually like Pearl Jam. I would just like, sit and try and listen to their music and tell myself I was liking it. It was awful. I was just convinced that was how it felt when people listened to music they picked on their own.

Before that I had only listened to classical music and occasional classic rock radio. The concept of buying my own music was novel and I was just entering high school and decided everyone has to have a favorite band, and for some reason I decided Pearl Jam should be my favorite brand. I think it was because they were "serious business" and living in a liberal granola munching area heavily focused on outdoor activities, they were a legit looking choice to go with the crowd. Also, they really hated President Bush and had all sorts of songs about hating his policies. Even if the songs were terrible (the points more or less valid though), I somehow got it in my head it was the most badass thing ever.

Ten is OK-ish in an insufferable sort of way. Obnoxiously melodramatic. "Garden" is an OK-ish song. Can't stand Jeremy or Alive or Even Flow. Ten is the least awful of their albums, but that's not saying much. The only albums I owned are Ten and Riot Act. Riot Act is one of the most insufferable albums ever. I pretended to enjoy listening to that quite a few times. :lol:

I did waste a lot of money on their stupid "official live bootlegs" on iTunes though. Pearl Jam, being the filthy hypocrites they are, rail against capitalism, but they would release every single date from . I think I bought those because their studio albums weren't available on iTunes at the time and it seemed sophisticated to be a Pearl Jam connoisseur, like, "oh, the second Madison Square version of this song is particularly good, even compared to the other 300 versions available.

No one else even remembers it. If I thought I had 100% Stalin retconned it from history I would never own up to it. Friends and Family from that time all remember Iron Maiden being my first favorite band. Which was technically the "first favorite band" I enjoyed listening to. I don't think it's possible to 100% stalin retcon it though. I found an old hard drive years back from one of my first PC builds and booted it up and there was a Pearl Jam wallpaper. I remember telling people "Pearl Jam would never sell out" with a straight face at least twice, maybe even three times, which I am still deeply ashamed about.

"Do the Evolution" is the only decent Pearl Jam song.

Granted, my brief infatuation with grunge wasn't totally useless. I did get Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" (the first physical CD I ever bought, I had bought albums before, but I grew up in the iTunes era) and Alice in Chains "Facelift", which I still consider great albums to this day. And there were at least two artists that Pearl Jam covered I discovered through them that I still think are great. I'm not a punk fan, and no one would mistake me for a punk, but there was a period of time where I listened to albums like The Clash's "London Calling" and DK's "Plastic Surgery Disasters" because I discovered them through the terribleness of Pearl Jam. I'm not a huge fans of those bands at this point in my life, but I won't deny that they are cool bands. I don't remember what Clash song they covered, but I remembered they covered DK's "Bleed For Me".

I still listen to Laaz Rockit's DK cover though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
It's funny how badly all those albums from bands that spend a huge amount of time bitching about President Bush aged though. Pearl Jam and other shit like that.

And it's not because President Bush's tenure has been re-evaluated to be particularly great. The criticisms are still valid, but compared to modern GOP politics it's like, shit, those were the good old days.

Shit like all of Ministry's entire albums about hating Bush and the Dixie Chicks thing have aged so weirdly. Because listening to them in 2020 it's like, "Ah the good old days, when that was all we had to complain about".

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I just remember being really little and seeing the Evenflow video on MTV and thinking it was the coolest thing ever which turned me into a pint sized grunge fan. That whole period is heavily nostalgic for me because those were some of the first sounds I liked to hear I guess.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Poor Drew
Eh, as far as the 90s went, Pearl Jam was one of those bands I always enjoyed when I heard them on the radio, but it never really went beyond that. So, it's not like this is causing me any sort of existential pain, although someone should maybe remind Variant that I have near absolute authority to wield the ban-hammer or fuck with people's profiles and I'm not afraid to use it. :lol:

They've been active for damned near 30 years now, if they want to do something else for a chance, I figure they've probably earned that right.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
i caught this 1/2 way through on the radio yesterday. Thought it was pretty terrible.

Was even more disappointed when I realized it was PJ.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts