Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rather indifferent on Pearl Jam these days, but having gone to high school in the 90s they were the soundtrack to quite a few summers. The two hour documentary about them was on some-mtv-ish channel recently and man, it's fucking awesome.

If you're even half-a-fan of PJ, or just really well done music documentaries in general, it's absolutely worth watching. I never really paid attention to them past their third album or so, but man - what a talented bunch of extremely artistic dudes.

I definitely need to add them to the bucket list of bands to see live.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Their live DVD they did at Madison Square Garden was really good. I need to actually see them live at some point too.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's on demand and I missed the first half hour or so, so I'm actually watching it again right now. :lol: ******* Crowe directed it, so it's no surprise that it ticks all of the Awesome 90's Era Bands boxes.

What a consummate rock star Vedder is, he really does give zero fucks about anything other than the music and his band, and it's a bummer that it's so rare these days. I always lumped all of the Seattle singers into one big pile, but it seems like Eddie and Chris Cornell had one scene that revolved around their bands, and all of The Dead Guys (Layne, Cobain, Weiland) were doing something completely different. I also remember watching the Grammies the night they won (which is in this) and the acceptance speech where they shit all over the entire idea of an award for art in the first place.

This is awesome. Definitely need to see 'em life now but both upcoming Boston dates are sold out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the same thing, but after watching this I don't think that's really the case. I don't like the way he's singing these days as much as I did back then, but I think he's just doing what he wants to do. Some of the more recent clips still show him tearing the roof off the place when he wants to.

I'm seriously all of a sudden a huge fan of a band who's music I don't really like very much, if that makes any sense. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
They play here next month.

I've never been a huge fan, but I can't deny that every time you turned on MTV in high school, it was Evenflow or Jeremy. I dated a girl that was obsessed with them, and that pretty much did me in with them.

I never owned any of their stuff or really cared for them, but it's impossible for me not to associate them with a very large amount of good memories from my formative years.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Pearl Jam live is different than the studio stuff. Live they do shit like this.

Reactions: 1

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ I guess McCready was in a pay-to-play hair/shred metal band before he was in PJ too. That gives him extra cred with me for sure. :lol:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I have seen that doc and it is awesome. Pearl Jam's "Ten" album was a fucking epic album IMHO but I was never really able to get in to anything else they ever did. Just got real fucking weird after that album.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm seriously all of a sudden a huge fan of a band who's music I don't really like very much, if that makes any sense. :lol:
Oddly, it does. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Pretty much agree with everyone here. I bought Ten back in the 90s and loved that album, but I never really liked anything else Pearl Jam put out. Seems to be a common thread.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
OK I'll be the minority. I really like Vs, Vitalogy and Yield a lot. I've never gotten the hate for Vs since it's basically Ten part 2.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
20 was awesome and had a lot of early footage with other bands from the scene in it. I wasn't a huge PJ fan until after I watched this.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I saw them live in 2013 (I think) in Stockholm, and they were really good. They played something like 35 songs, including probably the whole Ten album. Also, Eddie Vedder drank something like 2 bottles of wine during the gig :lol:

I think Ten is probably one of the best albums of the 90s, but I'm not a huge fan of the rest of their albums. Most of them have one or two good songs, though. For example Sirens from their newest album is pretty good IMO.

Though I've noticed that with many bands like this the best songs on their later albums are sentimental ballads. :lol:

4,429 Posts
10 is the only great pj album, the rest do have some killer tunes though mostly slower songs. The only thing that can suck about PJ live is if Eddie starts ranting politically, but I hear he's toned that back down a lot.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
10 is the only great pj album, the rest do have some killer tunes though mostly slower songs. The only thing that can suck about PJ live is if Eddie starts ranting politically, but I hear he's toned that back down a lot.
Yeah, he didn't do that when I saw them (though it would be pretty weird if he did that in Sweden :lol: ). What I found a bit strange was that he was constantly asking the crowd if everyone was ok. I wonder if he still suffers from anxiety because of the Roskilde festival disaster (9 people died from a crush at Pearl Jam's gig at Roskilde in 2000)

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I remember when that whole scene started to pop and it was refreshing to see some honest rock and song writing getting some play time.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Flexkill said:
I have seen that doc and it is awesome. Pearl Jam's "Ten" album was a fucking epic album IMHO but I was never really able to get in to anything else they ever did. Just got real fucking weird after that album.
This. I absolutely wore out my tape of Ten, but I hated Daughter when it debuted. My buddy got Verses, and we both thought it sucked. Regardless, Twenty was a very well done documentary and a great watch.

The film also explains why so many of us only like the first album; Ten was written by Stone Gossard and Jeff Aamot before there was a band, while Eddie Vedder took over as principal songwriter after that. He may be a nice guy, but he's a rotten musician and the weakest link in that band. I imagine if Jim Morrison had been allowed to write more than lyrics, then there would have only been one Doors album that anyone liked.

·
Registered
314 Posts
This doco was awesome. The amount of footage CC gathered was crazy. Even in the early days, and its not like he was really planning on these guys becoming so big! So we were able to see what it was like at the start. That was really cool.

And its funny, i always blamed Neil Young for the change in sound on Vitalogy and while yes he did have a big part. It was interesting to see that it was actually Eddie that was the force behind it by becoming more involved in the writing. Its a shame, Gossard and Amment really killed it on the first two albums. I didnt really like the direction the band went after Vs. That said i really havnt listened to much after No Code, might have to check out the other albums.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts