Votes: 3 18.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NSLA5150*

*except for the whole family of 5150/6505s lolz
I get it, but seriously, I'm looking for comparisons too (the poll is just to lure people in, but it looks like I might have failed and created a war).

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Rack setups are heavy and unless you're going full midi integration (which the rockmaster fails at dismally) with a range of other effects and devices, keep it simple with a head. Also a 5150II/6505+ give you full eq on both channels as well as the resonance and presence controls actually being in the power section itself for far better tailoring of the power amp response.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Rack setups are heavy and unless you're going full midi integration (which the rockmaster fails at dismally) with a range of other effects and devices, keep it simple with a head. Also a 5150II/6505+ give you full eq on both channels as well as the resonance and presence controls actually being in the power section itself for far better tailoring of the power amp response.
The thing is, I already have a rack set-up, so none of that really applies to my situation as I find rack gear more practical anyways! Just wondering if anyone owned both.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I love my 6505. I've got a couple of amps, including a 5153 and I keep going back to my 6505.

As for the Rockmaster the couple I've tried were thin and lifeless.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
I think there are probably a lot more people on here with experience with a 5150, and comparatively few with rockmaster experience to give an decent result.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Not even close 6505. since you already have rack effects you can run the 6505 preamp out to the effects in back to the loop and be done with it and if you have a modeler you can pick and choose to use the head preamp or the models through the 6505 power section it's a no brainer

Edit. normally I would vote noodles by proxy but this doesn't even warrant a vote the Rockmaster preamp was mediocre at best in my opinion

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meh, thanks for the obvious praise I guess.

Just kidding, the 5150 is a great head, but not my favourite live application, and I'd love it if it had mid sweep / mid freq knob,so this is in MY HUMBLE HONEST OPINION ONLY, MY TWO CENTS:ugh: hahaha.

I got so sick of touring with heads and plugging in all the crap noise gate and pedals and road cases and all, so I try to go towards heads that sound good but also have the maximum stuff crammed in it (IE.: graphic eq, mid freq adjustment, or if I'm lucky, a noise gate, if I'm extra lucky, all of the above).

I remember when I first started getting my tone, I had a Triple Recto, in a giant road case with my Decimator Rack, a OD9 boost, and MXR Graphic EQ all wired into the case. It was so wide and heavy that I actually had a lumbar strain (still recurring to this day) from lifting it at some gig. Not to mention my full stack rig looked like Robocop2 on brain steroids... Same with the other heads I've used after that.

I wish more heads came with an integrated OD9, pre para EQ, good noise gate, mid sweep, post Graph EQing, presence/depth and midi switchable. :roll2:
Oh and I forgot, why not put front and back lids too and an integrated compartment for wires. Just saying.

EDIT: So far the ENGL Savage 120 is a pretty interesting head, thinking about it.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Mid sweep: use the presence, resonance and mid knobs in conjunction with each other. Also leave the fx loop engaged and maxed if possible.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Meh, thanks for the obvious praise I guess.

Just kidding, the 5150 is a great head, but not my favourite live application, and I'd love it if it had mid sweep / mid freq knob,so this is in MY HUMBLE HONEST OPINION ONLY, MY TWO CENTS:ugh: hahaha.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I told you in your other Rockmaster thread :squint:

If you go into a live show with the rockmaster be prepared to be disappointed. You have been warned :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I actually have both here in the house. I own a 5150 and rack rig with a marshall tube poweramp and my brother used to use his rockmaster through one channel of that. Both sounded pretty good! Rack stuff is heavy and the rockmaster is a bit light on features but if you just want a good sounding distortion channel either will do nicely. It's been a while since we used the rockmaster though so I can't remember how good it sounded but it never let him down when we used it in our band and it cut through fine when eq'd with the mids up.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I told you in your other Rockmaster thread :squint:

If you go into a live show with the rockmaster be prepared to be disappointed. You have been warned :lol:
I know, I just wanted to start a fire hahaha. Thanks for your advice though, I believe you. It just seems weirdly divided, some people have had good experiences with the Rockmaster :cool: cool for them I guess. For the price they go I might just buy one ($150) and try it, worse case I'd keep it for recording, I heard outstanding results of the Rockmaster into a cabsim, seriously.

But according to what this guy below said, I guess some people make it work for their tastes.

I actually have both here in the house. I own a 5150 and rack rig with a marshall tube poweramp and my brother used to use his rockmaster through one channel of that. Both sounded pretty good! Rack stuff is heavy and the rockmaster is a bit light on features but if you just want a good sounding distortion channel either will do nicely. It's been a while since we used the rockmaster though so I can't remember how good it sounded but it never let him down when we used it in our band and it cut through fine when eq'd with the mids up.
Thanks!

·
Nasty user
333 Posts
I bought a Rock Master this week on SS. Next week I'll test it out and see what happens.

But for sure, I'll modd it.

Sorry for the bump :wub:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts