Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

New poster here. Looking forward to being a member. I have my 6505MH apart to do a cosmetic mod and figured I'd check the preamp tubes while I had the amp body out of the case. Oddly, it has one Ruby 12AX7 and two JJ ECC83S tubes from the factory. Has anybody else with a 6505MH run across this? Do you think I should grab a third JJ ECC83S for consistency?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I'm guessing the Ruby is in V1? It's probably a Shugang 12AX7B, which is lower noise. Mine had JJs in all three spots, and was noisy as hell.

I replaced mine with V1-TungSol V2&V3 Shugang (which is what your Ruby is.) So you could get a TungSol and one more Shugang and have a nice tube setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing the Ruby is in V1? It's probably a Shugang 12AX7B, which is lower noise. Mine had JJs in all three spots, and was noisy as hell.

I replaced mine with V1-TungSol V2&V3 Shugang (which is what your Ruby is.) So you could get a TungSol and one more Shugang and have a nice tube setup.
It's a Ruby 12AX7AC5, for what that's worth. I've never heard the terms Shugang and TungSol before.

Just finished with the grate mod, though. It turned out awesome.

Before:

After:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Holy shit, a new member who didn't spam us with a band demo or YouTube clip and he's ALREADY got a 6505! Off to a great start!

:windmill:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
It's a Ruby 12AX7AC5, for what that's worth. I've never heard the terms Shugang and TungSol before.
Shuguang (I always friggin' leave out the second "u") is the Chinese company that makes the tubes that Ruby, Groove Tubes, Penta, and several other companies rebadge and resell:

https://www.thetubestore.com/tube-brands/shuguang

TungSol is a different brand of tube, this time Russian:

https://www.thetubestore.com/tube-brands/tung-sol

They have slightly different properties/tones.

Just finished with the grate mod, though. It turned out awesome.
I did mine, too, so I know what it looks like, but your pics are totally borked. Looks like you used the Google cache URL.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Mine has JJs in all three spots, but want to put a TungSol 12AX7 in V1. Not that I don't love the tone I get, but my understanding is the Tung will tighten the low end a bit. Does that sound right to you, Mike?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Mine has JJs in all three spots, but want to put a TungSol 12AX7 in V1. Not that I don't love the tone I get, but my understanding is the Tung will tighten the low end a bit. Does that sound right to you, Mike?
I wouldn't say it tightens it up so much as open up the top end so it's not so bottom-heavy. It did not make as big of a difference as it did in my Recto, but it definitely makes a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Take two with the pics...(not embedding them as they're huge)

Before:
https://i.imgur.com/5GCp28t.jpg

After:
https://i.imgur.com/HudVtvz.jpg

But in other news, I think the amp is completely broken now. To try to sum it up quickly: TSI for Tube 1 was indicating red, I popped the power tubes out and Tube 1 was burnt up. Ordered matching JJ EL84 replacement, put them in and fired it up. TSI for Tube 1 is still indicating red and will flash green if I crank the amp and play some jugga jugs. Swapped the spots the new tubes were in and same thing...TSI for Tube 1 is still indicating red...odd.

At this point, I put the old tubes back in, with the bad tube in T2 to see what the TSI would do. When I turned the power on the bad tube had electricity arcing all around the inside of it and a hellish sound came out of the cab, then a loud pop. I put the new tubes back in, and now it won't even make any noise. The amp turns on, all controls function, but switching the standby switch to ON produces no sound, no matter what I do. Checked the fuse and it's ok. I'm thinking I may have popped a capacitor on the underside of the chassis; going to check that today.

Next step in the saga, haha. I have to say, this has not been the most reliable amp I've had. Oh well, have been jonesing for an MT15 or MKV 25 anyway....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 6505MH also came with 2 JJ's and 1 Ruby......I also modded mine like yours except I added LED's inside and just have the 6505MH plate on the front plate but with no Peavey logo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts