Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really see any videos comparing these two amps, so I made one. TL;DR version: same cab, all settings at noon, decimator and tubescreamer in front, all shittily recorded on an iPhone - and my playing is a sloppy shitfest. :lol:

More details in the Youtube link description. Hopefully this helps anyone trying to decide between these two heads!

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Oddly, I find myself more intrigued by the Ibanez v. Solar comparison in the video. :lol: And, while it's not perfect, the sound quality we get from phones these days blows my mind.

·
Read Only
214 Posts
MT seems to have bit more low/low mids going on. Might be my shitty ears too, but it seems to have more distortion. Interesting amp for sure.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
MT seems to have bit more low/low mids going on. Might be my shitty ears too, but it seems to have more distortion. Interesting amp for sure.
As a 6505MH owner who's played a MT15, I'd say that's about right. The MT15's low mids are more than a 5150, less than a Recto. I was seriously impressed by both channels on the MT15.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
MT15 sounds good on its own but I suspect a lot of those frequencies that are in it and not the 5150 are ones you would remove in a mix anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
MT15 sounds good on its own but I suspect a lot of those frequencies that are in it and not the 5150 are ones you would remove in a mix anyway.
I don't know. I suspect the MT15 will be nice and thick in the room with the band.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the MT15 is definitely "thicker" and the 6505MH seems thinner/more nasally, maybe it's an EL84 vs. 6L6 thing? I'm honestly not sure, but neither sound bad - especially if you EQ them I'm sure you can get them in the same ballpark for sure.

The MT15 is definitely quieter though in terms of feedback and background hiss, not sure if that's just the amp or something else causing that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts