Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peavey unveils Classic 20MH and 6505MH mini heads | Peavey Classic 20 MH | Guitar News | MusicRadar

The newest addition to Peavey's celebrated 6505 series, the all-tube 6505 MH authentically produces the legendary tones of the Peavey 6505 in a small, portable package.

The 6505 MH has two channels that follow the same gain structure and voicing of its iconic big brother to produce the devastating, overdriven tones that have defined the sound of modern metal music for more than two decades. The channels share EQ, lush reverb and an effects loop. Channels, crunch, effects loop and reverb are all footswitchable.

Peavey's TSI™ (Tube Status Indication) tube monitoring indicator keeps players apprised of power tube status, and in the event of a necessary tube replacement, identifies which tube needs to be replaced. Rear panel features such as an effects loop, MSDI™ (Microphone Simulated Direct Interface) with XLR output and USB out, speaker defeat switch and a 3 position power attenuator switch make the 6505 MH an ideal tool for recording or use in smaller venues.
Features:

2x EL84 power tubes and 3x 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tubes
Two footswitchable channels with three-band EQ
Footswitchable crunch on rhythm channel, footswitchable reverb, footswitchable buffered effects loop
TSI circuit
Impedance switch for 16 or 8-ohm cabinets
MSDI output with XLR and ground lift switch
USB output
Speaker defeat switch
Headphone output
Attenuator switch for 20 Watts, 5 Watts or 1 Watt output power

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

At this rate everyone is gonna have a mini mark, mini 6505 and a few other mini amps.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Resonance control FTW! :woohoo:

Hopefully these will be competitively priced, considering most of us can get a used full sized 6505/5150 for around $600.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's imported like the 6505 combo, hopefully it's around $500? The Peavey Shitking 20w is $429.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
How does 3 preamp tubes create the same sound as a full sized 6505?
Looks like in a 6506+ (6 tubes), V4 is a phase inverter, V3 is the FX Loop buffer, and V5 is a cathode follower, which frankly I have no clue what that means. V1, V2 and V6 (lead only) are your gain stages, which means it's at least theoretically possible the gain stages could be all tube and the FX loop and phase inverter is solid state. Otherwise, there's probably a solid state gain stage in there.

It's also possible that's a typo - we'll see. :lol:

4,429 Posts
Assuming the lead pre is the same as the full size, I'd be all over one if it's competively priced. I only want that one sound anyways, and I'll run it into the power amp of one of my mesa's if I want the sound from a big power section.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Also, this is based on the 6505, not the 6505+. The 6505 has 5 preamp tubes. I'm not smart with them, so I'm not sure what the extra tube in the 6505+ does. :lol:

EDIT: I also love how Peavey perfectly timed this when I started loving the 6505/5150 again. Fuck the HD500 I planned on getting. :lol:

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
" buffered effects loop TSI circuit"
Something the fender doesn't have.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
How does 3 preamp tubes create the same sound as a full sized 6505?
That's what has me worried. The 120w heads have a ridiculous number of gain stages. I'd say this probably just does clean and crunch.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Pretty cool news.

I'm waiting for Marshall to give us some better low wattage choices of their famous lines. Mini JCM 800 perhaps?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Looks like in a 6506+ (6 tubes), V4 is a phase inverter, V3 is the FX Loop buffer, and V5 is a cathode follower, which frankly I have no clue what that means. V1, V2 and V6 (lead only) are your gain stages, which means it's at least theoretically possible the gain stages could be all tube and the FX loop and phase inverter is solid state. Otherwise, there's probably a solid state gain stage in there.

It's also possible that's a typo - we'll see. :lol:
Often, only one side of V1 is used, since the first stage is most susceptible to noise.

The cathode follower drives the tone stack, as well as contributing more to the sound of the preamp distortion than any other tube. It's the innovation that Mike Soldano gave us, and is in all of the derivatives (Recto and 5150 being the most prominent) of the SLO. If it doesn't have a cathode follower, it's not a 5150, and I'm not interested.

The effects loop is almost certainly solid state. Which means it will suck, just like the original.

The phase inverter is what makes the amp Class AB; it's at the center of the push/pull power amp circuit. When the Mini Recto is in 10W mode, it's Class A, in 25W mode, Class AB. If it doesn't have one, I don't see how it gets to 20W. Since it has a 1/5/20W switch, I highly suspect that it has a phase inverter.

No, it will most certainly have a diode clipping circuit in it, which means it won't be the sound that we all want. Peavey is continuing it's tradition of falling short, I see.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts