Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The situation - while jamming along to a backing track a half hour ago, I took a couple steps back and my cable (which had twisted around itself and was suddenly way shorter than I was expecting) pulled my Chaos mod TS9 off the front of my amp, where it fell to the floor (a drop of approximately 3 feet). Suddenly, it started humming like crazy.

Diagnostic process, more or less as it went down:

• Open the thing up. Nothing really looks amiss.
  • While open, hook it back up and plug it into the amp. Not sure what I expected to accomplish here, but why not.
  • Start twisting knobs. I realize the hum goes away when the volume is all the way down (no surprise), but also, strangely all the way up.
  • Notice two little dings on the volume knob.
  • Reassemble, go back to jamming with the volume maxed and the gain down for a bit, because (not now, chief!) I was kind of in the zone.

My hunch is that the thing landed on my footswitch volume-knob first, and something broke inside the pot. It's not an impossible situation because it still works quite well as a boost like this, but it makes blues jams a bit tricky. So... Does this diagnosis sound about right, and considering my soldering is about on par with Chris's string changing, how likely is it that I could not make matters worse by trying to swap the pot out myself?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Yup, sound like you got a fucked volume potentiometer. It should be as easy as replacing it with the same value pot. There will be three lugs, you'll have to solder each one. Or for a bottle of whiskey, you can send it to me and I'll do it. :drew:

[action=Matt Crooks]knows a ts-7 is worth less than a bottle of whiskey, but it's worth a try :rofl:[/action]

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: It's a TS-9. I just might take you up on that, Matt, if I fuck it up. :D

So, anyone wanna link me a source for a suitable replacement pot for a TS9? :wub:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:lol: It's a TS-9. I just might take you up on that, Matt, if I fuck it up. :D

So, anyone wanna link me a source for a suitable replacement pot for a TS9? :wub:
I picked up the MXR Classic Overdrive a few weeks back at GC for $30 but it was the 4th of July special so the might not have any left so I'd call first. It is a nice smooth overdrive and as far as I can tell it is just the GC run of MXR's GT-OD.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I picked up the MXR Classic Overdrive a few weeks back at GC for $30 but it was the 4th of July special so the might not have any left so I'd call first. It is a nice smooth overdrive and as far as I can tell it is just the GC run of MXR's GT-OD.
He said replacement pot, not replacement pedal :lol:

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I use TS7s, but a response has been sent. I didn't have much to contribute, as you were right already... if it's a Chaos pedal you should probably make sure that the volume pot isn't one of the things he changed (he may even have spare pots, now that I think about it...), but that's about all I can think of.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:wub:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts