Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm going to be buying a pedal tuner on Thursday, basically whatever I can find at a decent price locally, since I'll need it that night :lol:

I loved my Strobostomp in my bass rig, but I'm pretty sure it would be way too sensitive for tuning a 12-string acoustic quickly :lol:

Basically, I'm going to be looking at the Boss TU-2 (which I've used on electrics, and I know they're sort of the workhorse standard) and the Korg Pitchblack (which I've been seeing more and more in peoples rigs), and whatever else I see that looks interesting. Basically, I just need a pedal that's smooth, accurate enough, and reliable. I'm playing solo, as long as I can get it in tune to itself without everyone hearing me make tuning noises, I'm ok :lol:

I'm pretty sure either one of those, and most others, would do what I need decently enough, I guess what I'm wondering is: Is there any specific reason to not buy one of those two? (remembering that I'm not interested in picking up another Peterson atm :lol: )

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Korg pitch-black >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tu2

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Korg pitch-black >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tu2
Any specific reasons? I didn't mind the TU2, so if the Pitchblack is better and I can find one in town, I'll probably go that way :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I loved my Strobostomp in my bass rig, but I'm pretty sure it would be way too sensitive for tuning a 12-string acoustic quickly :lol:
I completely disagree. It has separate presets for the standard and octave strings, which makes for a really efficient job. Every cover band gig, I have one song to sit out and re-tune the thing capo 7, which features ridiculously sharp wound strings, contrasted with slightly sharp plain strings. Before the next set, I have yank the capo and put it in drop-D for two songs, and then back to standard. Oh, and I also tune a mandolin and six-string acoustic.

I would go completely nuts with a different tuner. I cannot even deal with an LED half moon anymore, and needles aren't much better. When you get comfortable with the interface, you become really fast. You also quickly get a feel for what is close enough when doing a fifteen second tune in between songs.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completely disagree. It has separate presets for the standard and octave strings, which makes for a really efficient job. Every cover band gig, I have one song to sit out and re-tune the thing capo 7, which features ridiculously sharp wound strings, contrasted with slightly sharp plain strings. Before the next set, I have yank the capo and put it in drop-D for two songs, and then back to standard. Oh, and I also tune a mandolin and six-string acoustic.

I would go completely nuts with a different tuner. I cannot even deal with an LED half moon anymore, and needles aren't much better. When you get comfortable with the interface, you become really fast. You also quickly get a feel for what is close enough when doing a fifteen second tune in between songs.
True enough, I did get used to it with my bass. Mostly, I don't have the cash for another right now, and wouldn't be able to find one in town in a day :lol: So far the Pitchblack's looking pretty good for something I'm more likely to find and afford in a day :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
True enough, I did get used to it with my bass. Mostly, I don't have the cash for another right now, and wouldn't be able to find one in town in a day :lol: So far the Pitchblack's looking pretty good for something I'm more likely to find and afford in a day :lol:
You sold it? What the hell did you go and do that for, ya dipshit? :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Truth be told, I was kind of wondering the same thing :lol:

I'll get a Peterson some time next year I think, and then do a good setup of my guitars (since the tuner will require it), and then I'll pray Dave is right and that I can tune faster after :lol:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
If you're looking for a pedal strobe tuner, you look at the Turbo Tuner? I'm getting the non pedal one in a couple days so I'll be able to tell you how it performs. The pedal tuner cost $130, and it's 5 times as accurate as the Peterson according to them (+/- 0.02 cents).

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I'll get a Peterson some time next year I think, and then do a good setup of my guitars (since the tuner will require it), and then I'll pray Dave is right and that I can tune faster after :lol:
It is tricky at first, but you quickly pick up the knack for it. Then, you have a hard time going back to other tuners.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:rofl: Mainly, at the time, I wasn't planning on playing live for a while, and I desperately needed the cash for bills as I was unemployed. I put it up on kijiji at what I thought was a high amount, and someone bit, so I went for it :lol: I may get another some day, but I found that I can be damn close as accurate using a lesser tuner and my own ears, which are pretty damn good :lol: I tuned and intonated my guitars with my Korg pocket tuner and then checked them on the Strobostomp, and they were like 98% there :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.