Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need another power supply for my pedalboard.

I'm currently using a Joyo unit, which I have had 0 issues with. But.. I do believe that it is adding some noise to my signal chain.

So I'm looking into isolated power supplies. I don't need a ton of flexibility, nor do I need a jillion outputs.

I'm thinking of a power supply just for my dirt pedals (fuzz, ODx2)), and leaving the remainder (tuner, delay x2, Reverb, MXR-10Band etc)on the joyo unit.

Is my thinking sound? Or should I just man up and buy a really nice and expensive Voodoo labs that will handle everything?

I've been looking at the

BBE Supa Charger (this one is #1 on my list right now based on the fact it has isolated ouputs x8, and it's like $88 on Amazon.

T-rex Jr.

Voodoo Labs ISO-5

Any others I should consider? I don't really want to spend more than $100.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus - works great - but I picked mine up used for about your budget.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
BTW the cheap ones you see on Amazon for like $35 or so, they do work and work well, but they are not isolated. I have this model on one of my pedalboards: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HH62VB6/

While it does work very well, it did give me a bit of noise in my signal only noticeable on higher preamp gain settings. A decimator in front of the gain stage fixed it, but just something to beware of. Leon's $180 one is the best bang for the buck IMO, but the cheap ones have a place too.

EDIT: now I'm reading you got one, ok cool enjoy! :lol:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I've got a Joyo unit. I bought it for probably $50 like 5 years ago. Not a single issue. But my pedalboard keeps growing and I figured it was time to graduate to something isolated. At least for my dirt pedals and my MXR 10-Band. And because corksniffing....

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have the mxr iso brick. It has everything I need from isolated outputs, dedicated 18v output (for my mxr 10 band), and even 2 variable outputs from 6-15v.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts