Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after getting the ES-5, but selling the HX Stomp that it was for, I decided to redo my primary board for the time being to accommodate it.

Power is done, just waiting on soldered cables from Sinasoid.

I just need to figure out how I'm going to handle the audio cables; likely using velcro wraps of some sort, just to bundle them.

Also ordered an FS7 for stop/start and undo for the RC-1.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Clean!

I'm using velcro wraps to secure my current bundle, which is only 3 cables. I might go up to 5, so I'm looking at alternatives.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
My OCD wants a tidy pedalboard but my OCD also fears doing it and swapping one pedal, then having to do it again. My eye is twitching just typing that.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clean!

I'm using velcro wraps to secure my current bundle, which is only 3 cables. I might go up to 5, so I'm looking at alternatives.
I'd like to go to velcro, but still use the plastic base to secure it to the board. I've not found any that work, and still fit on the board though.

Also, Pedaltrain sucks. Like, really, really sucks. Such a stupid fucking design with those massive gaps. Next board will definitely be a Rockboard or Voodoo (probably Rockboard).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm thinking Temple. I really like their patchbays. I have two of them :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My OCD wants a tidy pedalboard but my OCD also fears doing it and swapping one pedal, then having to do it again. My eye is twitching just typing that.
Yeah, this is why I'd never be able to have one of those ultra-clean boards :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, this is why I'd never be able to have one of those ultra-clean boards
I'm on a similar boat. If I had a consistent touring rig, then yeah it'd be a lot cleaner, but since I'm swapping constantly I just can't commit to it.
Oh, I can't commit either. I'm sure I'll get an itch for something in a month, and be tearing shit up again. :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I'd like to go to velcro, but still use the plastic base to secure it to the board. I've not found any that work, and still fit on the board though.

Also, Pedaltrain sucks. Like, really, really sucks. Such a stupid fucking design with those massive gaps. Next board will definitely be a Rockboard or Voodoo (probably Rockboard).
I looooooove my rockboard - so easy to lay stuff out on it.
I have a Tres and it works very well for me.

Your layout is so tidy - On mine I just push the wires underneath and pretend they are not there :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looooooove my rockboard - so easy to lay stuff out on it.
I have a Tres and it works very well for me.

Your layout is so tidy - On mine I just push the wires underneath and pretend they are not there :lol:
I still need to trace the power and label the power supply, so if a cable goes bad I can replace it easily.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
There is definitely something to be said to having stuff all over the floor :) If I had to gig I would probably be forced to figure out how the AX8 actually works. But I did recently get one of those pedal power things which is kind of moving in the right direction, and two Moog Pedals for volume and some other thing on the AX8.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I love tidy boards and actually enjoy the process of wiring them up, zip tying and using those holders to keep everything in place.

The zip ties loop through those holders and keeps the cabling all neat and secure.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mostly done:

I just need labels and a snake. And then to start the arduous task of programming the switcher, H9, and DD-500. :D Might do a patch bay too, so I don't have those two cables going from Loop 3 across the board, to the amp in 4CM.

A couple observations:

1. Pedaltrains are shit. Seriously, what an overrated company, and the design is just stupid. It's why Temple, Warwick, and VoodooLab all have staggered holes instead of rails with big gaps.

2. Warwick flat patches are awesome, and they need to make 12-18" straight to R/A, for people with switchers. that'd be awesome.

3. Switchers make everything more difficult to wire cleanly.

4. Always buy a MIDI-switchable delay and/or reverb. It'll allow you to gain one more loop back on a switcher, by being able to just turn the delay/reverb off via MIDI.

There are some things I could have done better; the MIDI from the switcher to the H9 to the DD-500 is terribly messy, but the right angles are both a blessing and a curse, due to where the MIDI ports are, and I couldn't find the longer MIDI cables I needed.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What made you get rid of the HX stomp?
Want to either go to the LT or the FAS FM3. I'm on the list for the latter, just not sure I want to be tied down to just three buttons again. I don't drink the Kool-Aid, so I don't think it's significantly better than current Helix firmware anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts