Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to swear by my pedal(s), then tried a few rack pieces with foot switches, but didn't dig them. Then got a Line 6 Floorpod about a decade ago and have used that ever since, but often wonder about buying some pedals again.

I remember seeing Voi Vod back in the Eric days and Piggy had a Boss distortion duct taped to the front of an SPX90 and got the most amazing sounds with it.

What do you use and why? Are you loving what you have, wishing it was something better or constantly gearing around searching for the ever elusive perfect tone?

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I've been a long time convert to midi multi fx. Pedals are good, but the tap dancing got boring. With a multi fx I can change several fx and my amp channel with one stomp of my foot. I've been through a Korg AX1500G, Digitech GNX4, a few G Major's, a couple of Pod XT's/Pro's, Pod HD500 and now I'm onto a TC Electronic G System. Which is absolutely awesome.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Right now I'm using a Quadraverb and a Boss SE-50. I change presets with an Art X-11. Looking to get a G-Major 2, so I can switch amp channels as well.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
At the moment, nothing. Guitar –> Cable –> Amp. Amp has a tuner-out and channel switching, which I control via MIDI to get four different sounds/levels on gigs.

I always mean to incorporate effects, but it would affect set-up/tear-down times, and I'm already on the uncomfortable side where the multi-band bills we mostly play are concerned.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Depends on the project/band - I basically use everything.
For my main band, I plug my board with 8-10 pedals into a clean amp, for the tight metulz I go guitar-(tubescreamer)-highgainamp only, and for my other project I use an Axe FX with amp/cab sims and the internal effects.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends on the project/band - I basically use everything.
For my main band, I plug my board with 8-10 pedals into a clean amp, for the tight metulz I go guitar-(tubescreamer)-highgainamp only, and for my other project I use an Axe FX with amp/cab sims and the internal effects.
I'm fighting the urge to buy a tube screamer. Borrowed one from a friend awhile back and dug it, but had to get it back to him before I really had a chance to do much with it. Kind of on the fence whether to grab one of those or another Boss super o/d.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
If you are tight on budget, get a Digitech Bad Monkey. Great TS clone for a fraction of the price.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll check that out. Thanks. I had a digitech rack mount delay unit years ago and hated it, so I haven't messed with much since but that's worth a go.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I'm not in a band currently, so my rig is in pieces spread across my apartment, but I've got a TC Electronics G-Force and a Line 6 multi-stomp for multi-fx. I can't remember why I wanted the multi-stomp originally, but I LOVE the reverse delays and some of the weirder settings. For the most part, it just sits on my amp and I use it for a regular delay while my pedalboard isn't set up to switch shit on the G-Force. The G-Force I use for a bunch of shit, but mainly delay, verb, chorus and pitch. I've got so many presets with variations of those effects, different routings and settings, a lot I'll never use again because they were specific for songs and some that can be used in any situation. Everything is set up with a tap tempo.

I use my GCPro with the 4 presets/8 instant access, I'll generally keep it on one preset and turn the effects on and off through the IA's.

Actually, I'm going to set that shit back up today and go through some of those sounds....a lot of them helped inspire to write something before, maybe it'll work again.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone have a Duncan 805? If so, like, dislike? Worth the money? My Line 6 decided to start fritzing this morning...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not a big effects guy so I prefer individual pedals. One thing I like about them is having all settings for everything right there in front of me. If I want to change anything the knob is right in front of me. I'd like to add a flanger(used to have one but not in many years), but my current setup is guitar>SD-1>MXR SmartGate>Planet Waves TruStrobe>Peavey Rockmaster preamp>Joyo Analog Delay>GE-7(w/Sniper mod)(EQ is in the effects loop that's shared between the crunch & ultra channels, delay in the loop for all channels)>Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp.

I love the tones I get and find it's a killer setup for any variety of metal. The only things I'll probably change in the near future are adding the flanger and perhaps getting a nicer delay. However it's really not a bad delay, especially for $35 new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts