Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an opportunity to get one for Christmas... but it's a lot of money, and I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with it beyond what my Droid X, Kindle, and MacBook do already.

Sell me on one, or sell me on why I shouldn't get one. As of right now, I'm just not sure what I'd do with it.

(First world problems :lol:)

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
I use it for a good 80% of my web browsing... Maybe lil less..

Slightly annoying, no flash player.. Audio in tabs shutoff when changing tabs..

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
its nice, but there are some drop down menus and order forms that the ipad wont let you fill out properly. i like it, but it definatly cant be your only computer.
not to mention the fact that you HAVE to have another computer to load content on to it for all the sense that makes:lol:

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Games, web-browsing while laying on the couch, airplane entertainment, reading. But....I sold it about 3 months ago. was super cool, but with an iphone, kindle, MBP.....wasn't super necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I...... hate to say it because I love gadgets and tech, but since I have a pretty boss laptop and a Thunderbolt smartphone, I really see no point for the in-between step afforded by a tablet. I have a kindle, but honestly I read most of my books on my smartphone while on an elliptical at the gym in the morning through my kindle app.

Until tablets really begin taking over laptop duties (which they will, give it time) I don't see me buying one anytime soon, though the Kindle Fire and the new Sony android tablet are damn sexy.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
My Xoom broke screen broke when I was drunk :spock: but I got a Xyboard replacement and I use it for at least 90% of the my web usage.

My suggestion, grab the iPad. If you don't like it its easy to get most of your money back reselling it.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I...... hate to say it because I love gadgets and tech, but since I have a pretty boss laptop and a Thunderbolt smartphone, I really see no point for the in-between step afforded by a tablet. I have a kindle, but honestly I read most of my books on my smartphone while on an elliptical at the gym in the morning through my kindle app.

Until tablets really begin taking over laptop duties (which they will, give it time) I don't see me buying one anytime soon, though the Kindle Fire and the new Sony android tablet are damn sexy.
I bought Drache's badass gaming laptop and sold it 2 weeks later, give me a desktop and a tablet any day. I don't even own a smartphone now.

·
I rippity rhymes, da rhymes dat I rip
217 Posts
After spending some time with an iPad I basically had the idea that people fit into one of two basic camps:

The first being the "jack of all trades, master of none" where you have a smartphone, e-reader, and laptop because you like the way each device has it's own specific set of advantages and purposes. Consensus generally being that an iPad would be a huge compromise for the sake of convenience.

The second group accepts the other side of the coin and labels it as "the best of both worlds". This is the group I see myself falling into in the near future. My reasoning is that for the price of a decked out 17" MBP I could get a souped up iMac and an iPad. I could have the power of a desktop at home (when I really need it) and not have to lug around a 17" laptop for 99% of what I can do with a sleek, lightweight iPad.

It all comes down to how dependent you are on high powered laptops IMO. I love my '09 MacBook (best computer I've ever owned) but even with my needs as a musician and a photographer I doubt I'll benefit greatly from having just one gigantic powerful laptop.

My drunken two cents

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See, my problem is I'm tied to my laptop for the near future since I need the full keyboard for note-taking and the screen real estate to have multiple documents open in the same window.

Guess I'll hold off then.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
I use an iPad for note taking at university and just use the onscreen keyboard, it works great for me. My lecturers usually upload basic notes in either word of powerpoint format to the university network. I just get them up on the iPad an edit in any additional points they may talk through. It works fantastically well and is probably the thing I use it for the most. The notes then automatically get uploaded to iCloud and I can get them on my laptop and print them off whenever I feel like it. At the same time, I then have a catalogue off all my notes on my iPad instead of having to carry around massive files all the time.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use an iPad for note taking at university and just use the onscreen keyboard, it works great for me. My lecturers usually upload basic notes in either word of powerpoint format to the university network. I just get them up on the iPad an edit in any additional points they may talk through. It works fantastically well and is probably the thing I use it for the most. The notes then automatically get uploaded to iCloud and I can get them on my laptop and print them off whenever I feel like it. At the same time, I then have a catalogue off all my notes on my iPad instead of having to carry around massive files all the time.
Really? See, I can't deal with touchscreen keyboards at high speed... and with the speed a lot of the lecturers at my school run at, there's absolutely no way I'd be able to keep up without a real keyboard.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
After spending some time with an iPad I basically had the idea that people fit into one of two basic camps:

The first being the "jack of all trades, master of none" where you have a smartphone, e-reader, and laptop because you like the way each device has it's own specific set of advantages and purposes. Consensus generally being that an iPad would be a huge compromise for the sake of convenience.

The second group accepts the other side of the coin and labels it as "the best of both worlds". This is the group I see myself falling into in the near future. My reasoning is that for the price of a decked out 17" MBP I could get a souped up iMac and an iPad. I could have the power of a desktop at home (when I really need it) and not have to lug around a 17" laptop for 99% of what I can do with a sleek, lightweight iPad.

It all comes down to how dependent you are on high powered laptops IMO. I love my '09 MacBook (best computer I've ever owned) but even with my needs as a musician and a photographer I doubt I'll benefit greatly from having just one gigantic powerful laptop.

My drunken two cents
This is where I'm at. I never pull my laptop off the stand anymore, I use my iPad for everything like web browsing, note-taking, movies, TV, recording stuff, games, etc. For any heavy lifting (more elaborate recording, video editing, photo editing) I'm sitting at my desk anyway, so an iMac (or even a Mini, for that matter) would be perfect.

Really? See, I can't deal with touchscreen keyboards at high speed... and with the speed a lot of the lecturers at my school run at, there's absolutely no way I'd be able to keep up without a real keyboard.
1. The keyboard on the iPad is, IMO, awesome. I can type a lot faster than I thought I would be able to, and took tons of notes in it while at school, and 2. the bluetooth keyboard+iPad is still lighter than any laptop would be, and that's basically a full size keyboard, and gives you more real estate on the iPad when it's used.

Unless you're an unimaginative whiner like Kagami, you'll find plenty of uses for an iPad. But if you feel the need to have full computing power with you everywhere, then it's better to just stick with the MBP. Honestly, for someone like you I'd think it'd make sense to sell the MBP, get a decent external screen, and skip the iPad in favor of a loaded MBA. The current models are faster than the fastest MBP15 from just a year ago, and they're featherweight.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I bought Drache's badass gaming laptop and sold it 2 weeks later, give me a desktop and a tablet any day. I don't even own a smartphone now.
:lol: yup I remember that. My wife wants a tablet, but she doesn't even know why since her laptop and iPhone do everything she pretty much wants anyways. :shrug:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
My main point being I already have most of the lecture in power point form and only have to add in side notes or add ons. It makes note taking very easy for me.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My main point being I already have most of the lecture in power point form and only have to add in side notes or add ons. It makes note taking very easy for me.
Ah. You're lucky then. Most of my professors don't use powerpoint.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Ah right well that's fair enough then because being totally honest I would find it hard to get everything that anyone says down.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Ah right well that's fair enough then because being totally honest I would find it hard to get everything that anyone says down.
Seriously, the BT keyboard solves this problem completely, since it's the exact same size as the regular MBP keyboard. I don't generally use it though, unless I'm in class (my telecom law teacher talked a mile a minute and used no slides) or while I'm traveling.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But there's no Spaces, no multitabbed browsing, and no Flash for watching streaming videotapes of past lectures.

I dunno. I don't really see the point in selling my 15" and getting the Air + iPad either; I'd still be out money and lose functionality.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts