Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I enjoyed the song itself, but have a question regarding the production style. It's very polished and computerized, for the lack of a better description- as if you're purposefully going for the sound of a tight, aggressive arrangement of sample-based drums and amp-modeled guitars. Do you see that kind of sound as something that is inherent to the genre that you play and Periphery as a band?

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polished we are going for, for sure! The drums are actually mostly natural, any reinforcement samples are just on certain parts or hits for consistency's sake. For the guitar tone we miked a zilla cab in a room and used an IR of that because it sounded exactly the same as miking it in real time (but was much less work/noise)

I'd say everything you are hearing is deliberate though, we worked very hard to get things to sound a certain way, and in the end we got the sound we wanted!

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Hey, Bulb, this sounds awesome. I'd say that this is my favorite song I've heard off the new album so far. Especially love the riffage. :yesway:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Just saw a link for that on my local radio station too, workin it today arnt ya! Good riffs Bulb, me likey

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Not the biggest fan of this genre but I'm digging everything I've heard off this record so far. Especially this track! :metal: Will probably end up picking this one up. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
I like this one quite a bit, though I wasn't too into the other two. Looking forward to the albums :metal:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Man, what an awesome bass tone.

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
Man Periphery has really come together.

Flawless production. Wonderful tones and mixing.

Spencer's vocals have really come a long way. I used to really dislike the timbre of his voice, but now he's always sounding good,changing up techniques throughout and putting a lot more feeling into it. Now he sounds like he's drawing from all kinds of influences like Protest the Hero, Slipknot, Coheed and Cambria, Devin Townsend and some others.

I'm really delighted that Periphery is really killing it now.

Good job, congrats and stuff.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
So, I'm just being honest here.

Any of the parts with the vocals were generic and forgetable. The vocals are fine, but I just dont think they fit this type of music. It makes it sound boy bandish.

The parts that really stood out to me as cool were the parts where the guy wasnt singing and the guitars took over the melody. But those were few and far between.

I would say I'm just not into this genera, but The Contortionist's new record is in a similar vein and its in my top 3 of the year so far. So take that as you will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts