Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Infinite/Incomplete
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! A couple weeks ago, during my band's recordings, we had enough time to let our drummer record a bunch of covers at the beautiful Blackmirror Studios.

The first of these is Periphery's classic tune Icarus Lives. Many other drum videos will be released soon, including covers and recordings for the incoming Abiogenesis album.

Thanks to Aaron Smith of 7 Horns 7 Eyes who did a killer job mixing these drums. I did all the video shooting and editing. Hope you like it :)

If you wanna listen to a drums-only version, here it is!

·
18,790 Posts
Not bad! He's definitely a great drummer, and the other songs you mentioned will fit his style even better. His kit is crazy :D

That said, he's almost a little too clean for this song. Part of what I love about Matt Halpern's drumming is that he's so groove based, and he always mixes it up live. It's more exciting, while your drummer was more precise. Both are great, but being a cover, the comparison is bound to spring to mind.

·
Infinite/Incomplete
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He did a great job. Video looks sharp, too. A couple shots near the start don't quite sync up, but only a tiny bit. Editing looks great, and there's one shot I like in particular. Nice work all round!
Yeah the hi-hat *** is not 100% synced up, my fault, but nothing that detracts from his performance hopefully. :)

I personally love the "Superior Drummer view" ***!

·
Infinite/Incomplete
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not bad! He's definitely a great drummer, and the other songs you mentioned will fit his style even better. His kit is crazy :D

That said, he's almost a little too clean for this song. Part of what I love about Matt Halpern's drumming is that he's so groove based, and he always mixes it up live. It's more exciting, while your drummer was more precise. Both are great, but being a cover, the comparison is bound to spring to mind.

Periphery (Drum View) - Icarus Lives - Trees - Dallas, TX 9/8/11 - YouTube
It's not his kit, it was just (part of) the studio kit we used for this and every other song/cover. He adapted to it quite easily.

The cover is based on Travis Orbin's original interpretation of the song, which is way more "thought-out" than Matt Halpern's improvised grooves.

Thanks anyway, I'm glad you like :)

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

FrancescoFiligoi said:

Periphery (Drum View) - Icarus Lives - Trees - Dallas, TX 9/8/11 - YouTube
It's not his kit, it was just (part of) the studio kit we used for this and every other song/cover. He adapted to it quite easily.

The cover is based on Travis Orbin's original interpretation of the song, which is way more "thought-out" than Matt Halpern's improvised grooves.

Thanks anyway, I'm glad you like :)
Ah, makes sense :yesway: Yeah, looking forward to the other videos.

·
Infinite/Incomplete
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

Ah, makes sense :yesway: Yeah, looking forward to the other videos.
If you're interested, here's the entire list of covers our drummer has performed. We will release them throughout all year I think!

Despised Icon - Les Temps Changent
Behemoth - Ov fire and the void
Strapping Young Lad - you suck
Strapping Young Lad - wrong side
Periphery - icarus lives
Textures - One eye for a thousand
Textures - reaching home
The Black Dahlia Murder - deathmask divine
The Faceless - Hypocrisy
Planet X - Dog Boots
Meshuggah - Beneath
Divine Heresy - Failed creation