Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone catch it? I read at Wal-mart while the gf was shoping :lol:

Interesting stuff too. Like how Bulb found everyone.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I didn't even realize they were in there either was just thumbing though it and saw a pic of Buld Alex and...(sorry cant remember) the other guys.. :lol: so sat done and read it :lol:

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Yeah I didn't even realize they were in there either was just thumbing though it and saw a pic of Buld Alex and...(sorry cant remember) the other guys.. :lol: so sat done and read it :lol:
Jake (other guitarist) Matt (drummer) and some dude (bassist)

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jake (other guitarist) Matt (drummer) and some dude (bassist)
well it only had Alex, Bulb, and Jake No bassist or drummer. or singer, but it is a Guitar mag :lol:

I honestly didn't know they used Med-gain pickups though :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Some, yeah. I'd have hard time calling an Aftermath (Misha's current favorite, I believe) a "medium output" pickup... I think it's very compressed overall. That being said, it's way more open than an active pickup or something like an Invader or an X2N, so in the world of modern pickups it probably does count as moderate.

Anything particular about the interview that was noteworthy? I doubt I'll get a chance to read it.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
well it only had Alex, Bulb, and Jake No bassist or drummer. or singer, but it is a Guitar mag :lol:

I honestly didn't know they used Med-gain pickups though :lol:
it helps with keeping the tone articulate and the notes clear. Sometimes I like the high output sometimes not.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, it sorta gave some EQ specs to get the sound they have :lol: But it was more of GW just trying to figure out how and why Perfiphery blew up like they did I guess. I'm sure if bulb comes in here he'll be able to tell more about it :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it helps with keeping the tone articulate and the notes clear. Sometimes I like the high output sometimes not.
I like the x2n7 for my A7 but, And I might get reemed for this :lol: I like the EMG 808's a bit more. Someone had told me that those were High outputs, But I always though EMGs were lower output pickups :shrug:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

EMG is as high output as shit gets dude

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well Know I know :lol: I guess that would be why I see people saying they had to use like a 25k vol/tone pots for the emgs instead of somthing like a 500k or 250k pot? :lol:

I should also say though that the two guitars I have now (the Schecter A7 and LTD SC-608B) are the only guitars that I owned with decent pickups in them :lol: everything else was either company made stock shitty pickups or a Duncan Design, which was the best til I got these guitars. :yesway:

Oh and Bulb did mention how the trem Djent got big and why everyone thinks of him and Periphery when they hear it. :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol: No. EMG's are high output - onboard pre-amp? Battery? Low output=NO.
Question about the pre-amps, are they able to be teaked? or are they pretty much set to a certain thing by EMG Inc and left like that?

and what exactly does the 18v mods do to EMGs?

Also, I was reading the article and they were asked about gear they used and Alex and Matt were sort of talking about their Ibanez a bit. But Bulb mentioned his JP, Bernie Rico Jr, and two Mayones. I was starting to wonder if he was going to throw out Decibal guitars since he got the one from Darren recently. but he didn't :(

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Considering the article was probably written well before Bulb got dB1, it's not a huge deal.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Considering the article was probably written well before Bulb got dB1, it's not a huge deal.
Yeah I was wasn't thinking about it being an older interview that they just released :lol: Either way it's pretty cool to read about it though I was around ss.org when he first started posting the Instrumentals. even though I never got into them until recently :lol:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
I just read the Periphery interview & I thought it was done very well.

About EMG pickups (just the pickups), they are extremely low output. The battery-powered preamp does all the work on the output side of things. That's why feedback is less of an issue. Dead battery = no output.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Question about the pre-amps, are they able to be teaked? or are they pretty much set to a certain thing by EMG Inc and left like that?

and what exactly does the 18v mods do to EMGs?
Yeah, but it's a lot of work and you might very well damage the things getting them open. The 18V mod (wiring two 9V batteries in series) gives more supply voltage to the preamp, forcing it to have a wider dynamic range. More "open" sound, overall. More like a Blackout, but with the signature EMG EQ intact. I think you can even add another for 27V, though of course none of this is supported, and I doubt there is much benefit to the extra risk at that point.

The reason your friend may have told you EMG's are "low gain" is that they in fact have very weak magnets and are supposed to therefore be mounted very close to the strings. The preamp then cranks the shit out of the volume - hence the pickup SYSTEM is very high output.

Blackouts on the other hand have stronger "passive-like" magnets and require more string space, and get good enough headroom with a differential preamp out of 9V that they have the more "open" tone of the EMG 18V mod, again with their own EQ characteristics etc.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts

Matt C said:
Wrong.

As far as "modern output" pickups go, the EMG 81 is smack in the middle. An X2N or Lundgren is going to put out significantly more output than the EMG.
People can afford Lungrens? :lol:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts