Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NASA's Mars2020 mission is about to land the latest rover called Perseverance. It's more or less an upgraded clone of Curiosity with some new science instruments, and an objective to collect samples for a future Mars Sample Return campaign.

Nominal landing time is 11:15 PST, you can watch the NASA stream here.

·
President / RHLC ©
13,828 Posts
Oh yeah!! Thanks! I almost forgot about that! Fuck work for the next 30 minutes! (or couple of hours) :lol:

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention it's also carrying the Mars helicopter called Ingenuity!

Also, apparently 11:15 am was just the stream start, not the actual touchdown sequence initiation.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,697 Posts
I follow some scientists on twitter and its about half my feed the last few days. Its pretty sweet.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
3:55 EST is the projected touchdown.

You have to love any scientific process that contains something called "The Seven Minutes of Terror". :lol:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
:woot:

Ingenuity has gotten a lot of attention here, as the dude in charge of flying it is from my town. :yesway:

·
President / RHLC ©
13,828 Posts
^

Nice!!

... And where's Leon, goddamnit? It's his subforum, FFS! :lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Aw man! I missed it. Anyone have a link to rewatch it?

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:woot:

Ingenuity has gotten a lot of attention here, as the dude in charge of flying it is from my town. :yesway:
You talking about Håvard? That's super cool, he's a sharp guy :yesway:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You talking about Håvard? That's super cool, he's a sharp guy :yesway:
Yep. :)

Also, the RIMFAX radar onboard the Perseverance has been designed and constructed here in Norway, so that's gotten a lot of attention as well.

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't know Farah was Canadian (haven't actually met her)! I'll be joining JPL full time starting in June after having worked there part time for the past few years :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Didn't know Farah was Canadian (haven't actually met her)! I'll be joining JPL full time starting in June after having worked there part time for the past few years :)
Shit, you work at JPL? That's super cool! What is it that you're working with there?

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm a guidance and control engineer in the entry, descent, and landing group so I do exactly this kind of stuff. I didn't work on M2020, but I've been working on two different aspects of the Mars sample return campaign: the Mars ascent vehicle which will carry the collected samples into orbit, and the lander that will drop off the fetch rover and the ascent vehicle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts