Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I had a TU-2 and was using it to set up my guitars.

Then i got a StroboStomp, and re-did my intonation, which made me realize how shitty the accuracy of the TU-2 is. My guitars all sound better after setting them up with the Peterson. If you do your own tech work, you MUST have one. Anything else is shite.
Well, unless you've got a Conn Strobe. ;)

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Have you tried the POS black Korg shit? I didn't think there was much of a difference between the two, but the CA-30 is pretty decent. It's no strobe tuner, but I've never had that problem with it.
is that the one which tells you what the notes are? lol I'd think that'd be an upgrade over mine which has the strings + flats which is so annoying :rofl:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
is that the one which tells you what the notes are? lol I'd think that'd be an upgrade over mine which has the strings + flats which is so annoying :rofl:
Yeah, it looks the same, but it's black. It's a chromatic. Tuning with just the regular string notes and a bunch of flats would be pretty annoying.

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts
The Conn tuners are great boxes.
We had two of them in the setup booth at Hamer.
Myself and Curtis made very special mods to them by gluing a picture of Mo Howard`s face on the main dials. The strobo-tuner logo was removed, and the new logo was applied.

The "Mobo-Tuner " was born.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I use mine for all my guitars, all the time. It's also my DI for my acoustic in my cover band. I cannot say enough good things about it - once you get used to it, it's not THAT hard to tune on one even live. Division actually uses the "sweetend" tuning.

The only downside is, of course, that you get used to tuning being that accurate, which makes you hyper-sensitive to it...
I should add that the things are so scarily accurate that some parts of the new album required retuning/punch-ins in order to get both guitars intonated together for parts higher up the neck. It really highlighted the fact that a 25.5" and 27" are going to be slightly off from one another, exacerbated the higher up the neck you go. Hell, there is one part where we were punching in octaves separately, since the two strings on the individual guitar weren't ringing quite in tune. :lol:

I've been watching some older live vids of us, pre-Petersons, and there is just no comparison. The hyper-accuracy and sweetened tuning makes us sound so much better as a band. I really cannot use a regular tuner at this point, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't drive me crazy anymore when tuning. Well, maybe with the trem it does. :lol:

Mike and I have been bugging the other two guys in the cover band to buy one, so we can start using the sweetened tuning there, too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sweetened tunings are awesome, unless you're like me and have a keyboard/Rhodes player in your band. Then you have to make do with normal tuning, as our guitarist found out when his Buzz Feiten'd Washburn clashed horribly with the electric piano during an acoustic practice.

Luckily, with my cello, I have all the room for on-the-fly adjustment in the world. Nevertheless, the experience was scarring!

·
18,790 Posts
Sweetened tunings are awesome, unless you're like me and have a keyboard/Rhodes player in your band. Then you have to make do with normal tuning, as our guitarist found out when his Buzz Feiten'd Washburn clashed horribly with the electric piano during an acoustic practice.

Luckily, with my cello, I have all the room for on-the-fly adjustment in the world. Nevertheless, the experience was scarring!
You know, if a "sweetened" tuning is making you clash with a keyboard instrument (that is never out of tune), then the "sweetened" tuning is wrong, meaning you're out of tune.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
You know, if a "sweetened" tuning is making you clash with a keyboard instrument (that is never out of tune), then the "sweetened" tuning is wrong, meaning you're out of tune.
I think the way the "sweetened" tunings work is that they make it so certain areas of the neck are more in tune at the expense of others.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I was using the sweetened tunings, but i found that it just didn't sit well with the other instruments in the band and i doubt i can convince my bandmates to buy Peterson tuners. :)

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
No, the sweetened tuning is relative temperament, and not equal temperament. I would wager that Peterson's method is similar to the way an acoustic piano is tuned. I'm pretty sure most keyboards are even temperament, since they are generally played in a full-band context. Put that keyboard up against a piano, though, and suddenly it will sound like shit.

IIRC most high-end keyboards have tuning adjustments, so you can fit it in with other instruments. Considering how many pros use Buzz Feiten and/or Petersons, there has to be some sort of way to make it all work.

Now you know why people say the piano is equally wrong in every key... :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I was using the sweetened tunings, but i found that it just didn't sit well with the other instruments in the band and i doubt i can convince my bandmates to buy Peterson tuners. :)
This is the problem Mike and I have with the cover band: trying to convince the bassist and second guitarist to buy new tuners. :lol:

FWIW: The acoustic and 12-string settings sound fan-fucking-tastic.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.