Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
First Vince now Petrucci it looks all the big Mesa users are getting on the AxeFx bandwagon. :vince:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Wow. Is he using it as a preamp or as a FX unit?

Considering how closely Petrucci has worked with Mesa over the years (I mean, the Mark-V rumours first began swirling when someone spotted a new head in Petrucci's rig...), if he actually switched over completely that's HUGE news.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Wow, that's unexpected! Is it actually going to be replacing his Mesas though, or is it just for effects/recording/clinics?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no official release from Fractal, but my assumption would be that he's using it for everything... it seems very few people use it for just effects.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
He has one in his B-rig, along with a few Marks. I doubt he'd switch over completely. He probably gets the Mesas for free, while he has to pay full price for the Fractals like everyone else.

JP B Rig 2010 - John Petrucci Forums
that link said:
The Axefx is wired in the four cable method. That is so there is the ability to run front end stompbox style effects like OD/Phaser/Flanger before the amp, and then Time based effects like Delay/Chorus/Reverb in the effects loop of the amp.
So, sounds like he is using it as a FX unit. Makes sense - word is the FX on these are Eventide-or-better quality...?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, he may still be using amps in the signal chain for now, but i would imagine it's only a matter of time.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Well, he may still be using amps in the signal chain for now, but i would imagine it's only a matter of time.
You think? I'd be surprised, for two reasons. The Axe FX is definitely the cream of the modeler crop, but the two advantages it has over tube rigs, lack of volume sensitiveity and tweakability, don't seem to apply here. One, Petrucci is constantly playing at "stage volume" where his Marks are going to sound their best, so he doesn't have to worry about getting "tube" tone at sane volumes. And two, if he's ever not 100% satisfied with his sound, well, he's got the dedicated roadies plus the great relationship with Mesa such that getting something slightly different isn't a huge deal.

I just don't think making the switch would offer much of an advantage.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You think? I'd be surprised, for two reasons. The Axe FX is definitely the cream of the modeler crop, but the two advantages it has over tube rigs, lack of volume sensitiveity and tweakability, don't seem to apply here. One, Petrucci is constantly playing at "stage volume" where his Marks are going to sound their best, so he doesn't have to worry about getting "tube" tone at sane volumes. And two, if he's ever not 100% satisfied with his sound, well, he's got the dedicated roadies plus the great relationship with Mesa such that getting something slightly different isn't a huge deal.

I just don't think making the switch would offer much of an advantage.
I agree. I mean, the Axe is a great device and all, but I just don't see the benefit for him in the amp area, whereas it's quite clear why it's advantageous from an effects perspective.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's another benefit to digital, which is consistency.

We've all experienced tube amps sounding godlike... you know those days when the temperature and humidity are just right, when the voltage hitting your amp and rack is clean and pumping a full 120 volts, when the earth's magnetic field, the tides and the stars are all aligned perfectly. And we've also experienced those days when things just sound loose, flubby, noisy, and we want to start swapping out tubes, cables, transformers and speakers to try and get back that special mojo that seems to come and go in such fleeting fashion with tubes.

Going digital eliminates all that, because it takes all that unpredictable analog stuff and replicates it in cool, clean digital that operates the same way every night. I'm sure big artists like Petrucci (and his tech) would appreciate not having to deal with random peculiarities night to night and venue to venue when on tour.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:agreed: I'm not saying it'd be any less good than his Mesa rig, necessarily, but 1.) he can play as loud as he wants, 2.) he's got as many (probably) free amps as he wants from Mesa, including access to prototypes, and they seem to give him a voice in the design process, 3.) he has a very good amp tech who seems to get off on building these huge complex rigs of doom with often as many as 6 different amp heads, and 4.) he doesn't have to carry them.

Like I said, no net benefit, and he has a great (and probably lucrative) relationship with Mesa. For guys like me without that who have to carry their own rig and can't always play at the volume they want I could see the appeal, but Petrucci has nothing to gain, really. :shrug:

EDIT - sniped by darren. :lol: You know, honestly, man, a lot of people talk about the lack of consistency in tube amps, but I've personally never seen it. I think maybe it used to be more of a problem back in the day with older amps and older components, but my amp sounds pretty much the same from day to day. I'll have days where I feel like my tone is happening better, but I don't think that's the amp as much as it is me, my touch on the guitar, etc.

I really can't say I've ever flipped my amp off standby and been surprised at how it sounds. Modern tube amps seem pretty damned consistent to me.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Mine only gets finicky when it's about time to change tubes. Other than that, it's damn consistent. :shrug:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Mine only gets finicky when it's about time to change tubes. Other than that, it's damn consistent. :shrug:
I've never had an issue either, and I live in IL, land of the 12 seasons. Hot humid dry cold rainy etc

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
There's no way Petrucci is going to give up on his Mesas. Not yet, at any rate.

Darren saying it's a matter of time, yeah, I can see that, maybe. But right off the bat?

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Why does he need 3 amps in his rig anyway?
It just seems unnecessarily heavy and I can't see how it's an advantage over using one amp. I can understand needing a back up, but really, are TWO amps going to blow in one show? :confused::nuts:
Apparently he's been using a single 2x12s wrapped under a cloth cover on tour anyways. Makes me wonder why they don't just ditch the stupid stage act of that wall of 4x12s, and just bring the 2x12 and save the roadies the trouble as well as transport costs.
You'd think an audience for Dream Theater is a lot less shallow than that of an AC/DC or Slayer concert where the crowd expects to see this wall of cabinets, so I doubt anyone would care if the wall of dummy 4x12s was just gone from behind Petrucci.
When I saw Meshuggah live, not a single amp on stage and it didn't stop the crowd from going absolutely ape shit and enjoying the show

Anyway, I'm still not convinced the Axe FX is as good as a real tube amp.
Maybe for the majority of situations an AXe FX is just as good, but as far as a studio option goes, I think it's a wiser choice for a band to have an experienced tracking engineer mic it up.
The general population can't hear it, but I'm willing to bet by the time an extremely experienced mix engineer sitting behind ultra expensive studio monitors and sitting in a well treated room can hear the difference.
There's just something about the tonal characteristics of real tube amps that just seem to gel to studio mixes so well and I've yet to hear a modeler get there (and I saw this a POD X3 user too)
Some get close (Periphery and Joey Sturgis' productions) but no cigar

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
There's no official release from Fractal, but my assumption would be that he's using it for everything... it seems very few people use it for just effects.
I'd bet he's one of the few, since he has a very close relationship with Mesa. Not only is he the biggest endorser in the roster, but he drove the development of the Mark V.

I've noticed several new Fractal endorsers that are also endorsed by amp companies, most notably Jeff Loomis and Ty Tabor. We'll see what Loomis is using the next time Nevermore rolls through town, but Tabor was definitely using his Egnators with King's X.

There's another benefit to digital, which is consistency.
Exactly, you can sound merely acceptable all the time!

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
He has one in his B-rig, along with a few Marks. I doubt he'd switch over completely. He probably gets the Mesas for free, while he has to pay full price for the Fractals like everyone else.

JP B Rig 2010 - John Petrucci Forums
Mesa Boogie are known for their policy of not giving discounted, let alone free, amps to endorsees.
I don't think they make an exception for Petrucci either.
He's in one of the most well known bands in metal, not just in prog circles but just metal in general, so I'm sure if even if he's not rich, but he's definitely well off enough to afford his own amps

1 - 20 of 104 Posts