Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Busted it out last night on a 11PM-2AM drive back to Boston from the Berkshires.

I hadn't listened to it in a while, and two things struck me.

1.) His tone is AWESOME. I'd had a little bit of trouble with it at first, because his G3 tone was so incredible that when I heard the finished product with things like crunchier doubletracked rhythms and lots of overdubs and whatnot, it took me a little while to get my head around it because I was so floored by the tone and the arrangement as a three-peice. However, coming back with a clean slate, well, his lead sound on that disc is one of the best I've heard.

2.) Oh, and the songwriting isn't so bad, either. :D

Reactions: mesh

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
!!!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I always thought for lead tones, Petrucci is probably the top one. I absolutely love his tone, and what I've heard off Suspended Animation (reluctant to buy it as I'm not a guitarists guitarist kind of person, always prefer people in a band setting), is amazing tone.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damage Control is an amazing composition right up until you hit that double-time blues boogie middle section, IMO. I guess he had to do something for the solo, but I'd rather he'd kept it in tempo...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I guess I'll be the voice of dissent here - I think it's a cool album, but I rarely listen to it. I find the songs to be a bit boring, and the tone average. Petrucci's live tone is one of the best I've ever heard, and I'm a huge fan of DT, but this album just doesn't do it for me.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Give it another listen, dude, after a break - I was surprised just how much more I dug it when I busted it out the other night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts