Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking about learning to play drums.

:ugh:

Anyways, where do I start? A pair of sticks and a practice pad?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Useless fucking piece of shit: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

MFB said:
Guitar hero is an awesome start :lol:

*Blank is being completely serious, I keep my hand and foot speed up by playing GH, since I don't own a proper kit
Would have to be World Tour since up until then it was strictly guitar, hence the title ;)
Well I thought that woulda been obvious to our resident nerd :lol:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Seriously, these guys aren't joking. I played drums on Rock Band for a while at a friends house (like, every weekend for a few months), and I learned how to at least get coordinated enough to keep a beat!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a decent drum kit would cost less than Guitar Hero, and the TV I'd need to play it on, and the gaming console :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Aren't you a physicist? You're gonna need a partial lobotomy first.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Noodles is right, you're going to have to be stupid to be a drummer.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel like an idiot about 3/5 days a week after getting home from work. That should be plenty enough to practice.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Do it. One of the most useful things I've been learning in my jazz lessons is rhythm. I think guitarists tend to focus too much on harmony and melody when there's so much that can be done with rhythms.

I got a little Korg nanopad coupled to a drumkit plugin. That was fun to play with. But if you want the real experience I'd look for a small kit on craigslist.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Do it, man. I've learned just enough to keep a beat and have fun, and it's a fucking blast. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Drums are fun and hard. You can get a cheapo learns kit for under 500 bucks with a pedal and cymbals and shit. do it. if you don't have a house that a real drum kit works in, you can always get a set of e drums. But you're going to want the mesh heads so they have some bounce like a real kit. that will cost you more.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:agreed: That's why I've always fancied myself as a rhythm guitarist. Only lately have I gotten into doing harmonies more.
Remember though that he's coming from a jazz background - he's not referring to Hetfield-inspired downpicking as much as rhythmic interplay in lead lines (as opposed to, say, straight 16th note shred). HArd as shit to do, but if you can do it right, it sounds fucking awesome.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.