Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Noodles

Votes: 6 17.6%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so this showed up the other day. Pickups are already outta there.

.... should I stick with white pickups on this? Or should I be swapping these for black bobbins?

And before anyone suggests. I'm almost positive this has only a H-H routing under the pickguard. So H-S-S with slanted single-coils isn't going to happen.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit surprised that the old fogies didn't put their 2 cents in about the Jake E. Lee color scheme. :lol:

Voted noodles, but definitely stay white. Great looking fiddle!
Thx.:yesway: It's a bit of an odd bird this one. Like for example.

Ebony skunk stripe. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Actually I was a bit concerned that it might end up cracking down the road. But Darren told me that there's nothing to worry about.

Also.

It's got a flush mounted pickguard, and I guess what would be considered a RR-style jack instead of the usual oval plate.

What I didn't like, although it doesn't really matter at this point. Was that they didnt use a F-Spaced pickup in the bridge position. :scratch: Now I just have to figure out which bridge pickup to get for this. I'm thinking I'll be using either an Air Norton or PAF Pro in the neck.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Oh, wow... that flush-mounted pickguard is hot! The edge-mounted dish jack is something that Hamer and ESP have done. Odd that they'd recess the pickguard and not flush-mount the jack plate on the edge as well.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
No option for zebra? Fail poll is fail. :noway:

The reason for not using F-spaced pickups is because they're a gimmick. Hot bridge humbuckers throw out such a wide, strong magnetic field that you don't have to worry about having the poles directly under the strings. I have yet to hear an F-spaced pickup sound as good as a standard pickup. Usually, they tend to be a little too hot and thin.

I just put a 15K pickup in my red Soloist, and there is no weakness on the outside strings.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that the old fogies didn't put their 2 cents in about the Jake E. Lee color scheme. :lol:

Thx.:yesway: It's a bit of an odd bird this one. Like for example.

Ebony skunk stripe. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Actually I was a bit concerned that it might end up cracking down the road. But Darren told me that there's nothing to worry about.

Also.
[IMG]
It's got a flush mounted pickguard, and I guess what would be considered a RR-style jack instead of the usual oval plate.

What I didn't like, although it doesn't really matter at this point. Was that they didnt use a F-Spaced pickup in the bridge position. :scratch: Now I just have to figure out which bridge pickup to get for this. I'm thinking I'll be using either an Air Norton or PAF Pro in the neck.[/quote]

Looks like one of those odd ball custom runs you see on ebay from GuitarHotline. They like that jack placement.

AT1 in the bridge, IMO. :yesway:

PS: They might've passed on the Duncan Trembucker because the whole pickup is bigger, while an F-Spaced Dimarzio is normal sized just with wider poles.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Im gonna come out and recommend the norton, AGAIN :lol:

and yes, white :agreed:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
White. :agreed:

... And I almost bought the exact same guitar the other day. Love that the Floyd is also recessed on this one. Definitely hot. :yesway:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
The flushmount pickguard is very cool indeed.

I'm bucking the trend, I'm saying purple pickups. If you're absolutely dead set on white or black, it has to be white.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
WTF *is* that, exactly? I've never seen a Charvel with an ebony skunk stripe, and I've never seen a recessed pickguard AT ALL.

Odd. I like the white PUs, but I would actually go with zebra in that if I owned it. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts