Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all I'm fairly new to the site and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've been playing for a few years now, But I've recently learnt my pickups are on the way out, I'm trying to look for some replacements, but I have no clue where to start.

I play an Ibanez Rg5ex1 And I'm looking for some nice pickups with a good high input to them.

I usually play songs from bands like in flames, trivium, darkest hour and metallica but I also tend to play some clean fingerstyle so I'm looking for some pickups with good distortion that can still let out nice cleans.

my model can fit one single coil and two double coil pickups.

What kind do you guys recommend? I'm hoping to get a trivium-ish kind of sound out of them.

Should I stick to the one kind of pickup for all three slots or should I mix and match different brands?

All help is appreciated =D

Edit: fixed the HSS/HSH mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
81 and SAs.

Those bands are EMG users, all 81s I think (except maybe darkest hour and het recently, with his own model). SAs are good for cleans and fingerstyle, if you ask mark knopfler.

Oh, and, welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions guys, gives me a good starting point.

Do you think I should go for an 81/SA/81 setup?
I've had a listen to some of the pickup samples on the emg site and they definitely sound like the style I'm looking for.

Also How much approximately do you think it would cost to get the installed once I've bought them?

I'm planning to get another bridge as mine is a bit old and worn now, and is missing a few of it's locking nuts, So I was going to buy the same model as I currently have, If i can find one, and get it all installed at once.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I agree that EMG cleans are pretty nice. Not the most dynamic, but sparkly and consistent. I would recommend an 18V mod if you want a tad more dynamics, just raises the headroom a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh oppss, my mistake, I meant to say HSH.

Yeah, 60's sound fairly good aswell.

Am I allowed to post outside links here?
was going to make sure I'm looking at the right ones.

So you guys think an 81 for the neck, SA for the mid and 60 for the bridge?

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys, gives me a good starting point.

Do you think I should go for an 81/SA/81 setup?
I've had a listen to some of the pickup samples on the emg site and they definitely sound like the style I'm looking for.

Also How much approximately do you think it would cost to get the installed once I've bought them?

I'm planning to get another bridge as mine is a bit old and worn now, and is missing a few of it's locking nuts, So I was going to buy the same model as I currently have, If i can find one, and get it all installed at once.
I'd try installing it myself. EMGs are ridiculously easy to wire, and if you're buying them new, they're only easier because of the new-ish solderless system. Just a warning, though, if you're doing three pickups, you'll need an EMG 5-way blade switch/hub.

5-POS STRAT™ | Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups

It's like $35, so order it with your pickups to save on shipping (or if you're from a store, order it with or before you order the pickups so you don't have to wait too long).

They're really easy, though, and IIRC they're completely solderless now, so if you mess something up you just unplug it and try again. They have a pretty in-depth video of the installation process on youtube, too.

edit: I'd take a look at the X series, too, especially if you're interested in cleans. Also, just to throw a wrench in things, the 57/66 set is awesome, so you could do a 57 bridge/SA-X middle/66 neck for a slightly more old school vibe that can still totally do metal.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah, and not having to worry about grounds makes it so awesome.

Just had an idea. Remember when whosisface was talking about doing a potentiometer going from 9V to 18V in EMGs? Yeah, that didn't make too much sense.

But what if you had a potentiometer going from 9V down to about 6.5V? It could act as an onboard compression circuit, and might be cool.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
That pickup combo would probably work, though if you want something less bitey in the neck I'd go for the 85, 60/60A or 89 (coil splittable 85). The installation of EMGs is pretty straightforward as all you have to do is connect all the cables together and pop them in the guitar so installation aside, you'll probably be looking at around low $200s used or around $300ish new (that's US currency but checking prices EMGs are about the same over there). Older style EMGs do require a bit of soldering however if you go the used route so be aware of that, all the new style EMGs are connected via their quik-connect bus that comes with the pickup hardware.

As for the trem, if your RG came with the Edge III stock, you might want to look into upgrading it to an OFR as it is a drop-in replacement in most cases.

Edit: As others have said definitely look into the X series, they sound a bit more 'organic' and have the ability to coil tap while still retaining the EMG flavor a lot of metal players dig.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah it's the edge III that came with my Rg, What does the OFR stand for?

also sean, is the tappable comment towards the X series?

Also, that 5pos Do I need to use the EMG specific one, or do I just need a 5pos in general as the Rg has a 5pos in it already.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Yeah it's the edge III that came with my Rg, What does the OFR stand for?

also sean, is the tappable comment towards the X series?

Also, that 5pos Do I need to use the EMG specific one, or do I just need a 5pos in general as the Rg has a 5pos in it already.
OFR stands for Original Floyd Rose. The 5 position switch you have in your Ibby will be fine, you don't need an EMG specific one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.