Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few guitars with emgs. Lol. And a few with Duncan jb and distortions a few Dimarzio. I like the distortions in my guitars.
Jacksons and ESPs. But I'm new to the ibby thing. What pickup sound good. I've heard the Dimarzio evo are harsh. My Jp6 has his set and there kinda thin sounding. Just looking for ideas. Cuz I know there are a lot of Ibanez players on here.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Just some ideas...

Bridge: Norton
Middle: FS-1
Neck: Humbucker from Hell

Bridge: Mo' Joe
Neck: PAF Pro or Joe

Bridge: Tone Zone
Neck: Air Norton

I prefer the FS-1 in the single in these guitars, because I just like having a little non-noise cancelling single there. It matches up well with output and pairs great with the split positions. You can pretty much sub any other single coil in there for the FS-1, but that's what I'd do. I've experienced disappointment trying some other hum-cancelling singles in that spot.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a prestige rg2550. With tone zone. True velvet and air Norton. It's was pretty nice. It's hard to explain. The Duncan's always sounded fuller then dimarzios. I was always wondering if u was getting the wrong Dimarzios. Cuz the putrucci set is kinda thin. I need it's own patch on my axe fx just to get it fuller. lol

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

I have an 87 Rg550 also and I find the Tone Zone/Norton combo with a decent low gain single in the middle is a winner. Just never put a JB in there. Although the PAF pro is awesome in the neck too.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Honestly I don't care for the Petrucci Dimarzio's in the early JP's, so I'm right there with you. They do have a weird wispy thinness to them.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. So V6 are u saying you have tried a jb in a rg and its bad?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
TZ/AN is a tried and true classic for RG's. Also: being the EMG whore that you are, try DActivators. I hated the 7's at first but now its my go to for playing or tracking, and despite what you'd probably assume, the cleans are phenomenal.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

kevin25 said:
Thanks guys. So V6 are u saying you have tried a jb in a rg and its bad?
Muddy and thuddy was my experience no matter which amp I ran it through. Just really not pleasant in any way. Then again I'm not huge on the JB in general, even in the Mahogany/maple it was designed for. I prefer lower gain pickups in rental these days as I find they're more balanced and let the instrument show what it's made of.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

Evos are a decent choice. Perfect for mahogany but alright in basswood.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
My experience with the d-activator prevents me from recommending it as some sort of 'passive EMG'. I love EMGs, btw. I tried it in two guitars; an SLSMG and a DX1 (all mahogany and basswood/maple). In both it was different flavours of tubby.

Granted I didn't experiment with pole adjustment or overall height much, so maybe I didn't get it tuned well, but I went straight back to a distortion and HDN.

Evos should work fine in that; they were made for Jems/superstrats. But if I've played one recently, I haven't realised (or I've forgotten) so can't say much more.

If you like EMGs, maybe try one of the new sets - the 57/66 or hets?

Beyond that, I'm gonna have to recommend Entwistles. I'm in a fairly similar boat - EMGs as main and I want some passives kicking around for different tone, and the entwistle HDN is the main reason I got rid of all my BKs but my aftermath (which I kept because it has a bit of a story/sentimental value), and that the aftermath is sitting in a drawer.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never heard of them. I looked them up. They are only like 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Never heard of them. I looked them up. They are only like 20 bucks.
If entwistle charged BK prices they would absolutely fly off the shelves. That people don't get to show off their money bags and/or feel like they've really invested in something seems to be the only thing that's disliked about them.

I agree with anton on EW V BK and everyone, no exceptions, that's tried any entwistles that I've spoken with about it fucking loves them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts