Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I must say... it was a bit of a let-down. I was hoping that these pickups would give the guitar the same tone as my les paul, but this just wasn't the case. I believe that I have a nice dense piece of mahogany, with a very thick and full tonal character. The bridge pickup is a bit higher output in comparison to the '59 bridge that was in there before, but it just seems like a different flavour of the '59 almost.

The '59 neck trumps the 490T IMO, and I want to put it back in already. It has a cleaner tone at 3 on the volume knob, and just provides a clean more appealing to my ears.

Overall: the gibson's sound ok, but the '59 set seems to suit the guitar a bit better for everything but metal. I didn't quite crank it - didnt plug in until 11:30pm... - and I will crank it up tomorrow, but overall I am thinking that these pickups won't stay long.

My friend who installed them is going to let me try out his JB, and he also has a Custom lying around as well. I suspect that I will end up with either the JB or the Custom, and I think I will be trying out the JB next friday.

I'll update this tomorrow after I turn up the amp a bit with the gibson's in there. Keep an eye on the classifieds!

and yes I took pics, which I will upload and post later.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I LOVE the 6-string JB. I really do. I think you'll like it.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I can't really say I'm surprised: most Gibson pickups are a bit of a downer.

I love both the JB and Custom in guitars of that construction. The JB should give you a sweet midrange and a rude growl, while the custom is more hammer smash face, with massive low end and upper midrange roar.

I really like the '59 in LP type guitars, but I like the Jazz a lot, too. It depends on how much gain you plan on using.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, I don't run a ton of gain - I always aim for the initial "heavy" saturation and never go past it lol.

from what I've read, the JB will match really well with the '59 and provide what the bridge '59 was missing. Next friday, I hopefully get to find out!

Aaron - sold it for a thinner neck, better upper fret access and a lighter body. I got what I was looking for, now I have to get used to it :)

·
18,790 Posts
Dave, I don't run a ton of gain - I always aim for the initial "heavy" saturation and never go past it lol.

from what I've read, the JB will match really well with the '59 and provide what the bridge '59 was missing. Next friday, I hopefully get to find out!

Aaron - sold it for a thinner neck, better upper fret access and a lighter body. I got what I was looking for, now I have to get used to it :)
That makes sense :agreed: And I also think you'll probably like the JB.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Yeah, the JB should be right up your alley. The midrange on them just cannot be equaled: tons of growl and rude bite. It pairs equally well with the 59 or Jazz in the middle position, and they sound fantastic when tapped.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, the JB should be right up your alley. The midrange on them just cannot be equaled: tons of growl and rude bite. It pairs equally well with the 59 or Jazz in the middle position, and they sound fantastic when tapped.
Hmm...I think I need to add a coil-tap/split/whateveryoucallit to my AX baritone...I never use that tone knob anyways. :idea:

Definitely, growl and rude bite is exactly how I'd describe the sound I get out of that guitar. It's very raw and edgy, while still managing some really smooth lead tones.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Why not have both?

I like having a tone control in the circuit. I rarely ever use it, but I like the slight treble bleed that imparts on my tone.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update time:

so i've spent roughly an hour playing and changing settings and all that fun stuff.

my old amp settings for the ultra channel:
resonance: 6.5
presence: 2
treble: 6.5
mids: 7
bass: 6
gain: 4
FAT: off
master: wherever
TS
drive: 2
tone: 5
level: 6

NEW SETTINGS:
Resonance: 2
presence: 0
treble: 4.2
mids: 8.2
bass: 4.7
gain: 4
FAT: off
TS:
drive: 0
tone: 7
level: 6

Away from the amp it sounds full of mids without a whole heck of a lot of clarity behind them. I found that with my previous settings, the sound was rather harsh. It's also worth mentioning that I EQ'd the amp with the master on 5. The neck '59 sounded better then the 490T does, and i'm looking forward to putting it back in.

I am going to be trying out the JB next friday with any luck, as well as putting the other '59 back in there. I suspect that these pickups will be for sale as of next week.

I jam on thursday, so we'll see how the new settings hold up with drums. I was just looking to get moderate saturation with great clarity for the heavy stuff, and all I'm really after at this point is more articulation.

I just hope that John prefers his Custom over his JB! or even my '59 bridge over his JB :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaron, let us know how it works out :yesway:.

Me, I'm jonesing for that JB again, with help from noodles :rant:

·
18,790 Posts
Argh, fuck holidays, sure I get the day off work, but nothing's open :lol: I'm so bored, and this looked like a good way to kill some time :lol:

At any rate, in opening up the control cavity, I noticed that my ground wire to my bridge wasn't connected :lol: My wiring job in there is a mess, I have no idea why it works :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:lol: that's interesting, to say the least!

I volunteered to work tonight, just so happens it'll make up for the hours i didn't get last saturday.. wee..

JB me!

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thing is, i was going to buy one, and then saw the gibson set. Since I had experience with the gibsons, i expected them to provide what I was after. I got 'em, they're not quite what i wanted, and if john comes over tuesday they're on the block for what i just paid for 'em.

dave, work some voodoo magic so i can have a JB in the Hamer by wednesday :yesway:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, so i put an adapter into the TS this morning and... welcome back, tone!

It sounds like the LP did now :lol:, more or less. But now I want to return it to stock and give the bridge '59 a fair try.

so my EQ is back to where it used to be (more or less) and the TS is running off adapter power, and I think i'll be suprised by the bridge '59.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.