Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a hell of a project guitar in the next week or so, and since it's going to be a REALLY nice axe when it's done, I'm considering making it something away from my status quo of a blackout in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck.

I'm really considering passives this time around, but I've been out of passives so long (almost 3 years now) that I've got no idea what sounds good anymore, especially in 6-string guitars. This one will probably be tuned to D standard.

I liked the sound of the Ceramic Warpig 7 in my Alder/Maple carvin and my bolt-on Alder/Maple explorer 7, but thems are kinda pricey.

As for 6-string pickups I can remember, I love the SD Custom, but I've never heard it in alder, only mahogany, so...

Also, it would be really nice if whatever you guys can think of is available in Black/White or Black/Cream zebra.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the SD SH-5 Duncan Custom has a nice thick low-midrange growl like the Warpig and a ceramic magnet for some good snap and snarl, just not nearly as high output as a Warpig.

Seymour Duncan SH-5 Duncan Custom B/C RVZ FREE S&H - eBay (item 320439078508 end time Aug-18-10 08:14:47 PDT)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh5_duncan_cust/

"P.A.F.-on-steroids-tone." However, they recommend it for "balanced or warm instruments", while your guitar sounds fairly bright with a maple neck-thru. :2cents:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Maybe try a Custom 5, then... Same wind as a Custom, but an Alnico 5 magnet for more warmth. But if you like actives and ceramics, it might be a little soft for you. A standard Duncan Custom might fit the bill nicely.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Maybe try a Custom 5, then... Same wind as a Custom, but an Alnico 5 magnet for more warmth. But if you like actives and ceramics, it might be a little soft for you. A standard Duncan Custom might fit the bill nicely.
The SH-14, right? Good call.

Zero, your guitar is going to sound a lot more like maple than alder, so be careful of going too bright unless you're trying to get some serious snarl. Is the Carvin you mentioned also a bolt-on?

Also, I might be going out on a limb here, but if we are trying to find the pup most like the Warpig - wouldn't it be an Invader? I know those pickups aren't well-loved, but bass and low-mid thunk are their signature right? Just a thought.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The SH-14, right? Good call.
No idea... i refer to them by their names, not their numbers. :shrug:

The Carvin is a neck-thru. (... and a very nice one... great neck profile on that one!)

I like all my guitars to sound different... they inspire different types of playing, different riffs, different feel. Having a bunch of guitars that sound similar or the same strikes me as not very interesting nor much fun.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
No idea... i refer to them by their names, not their numbers. :shrug:

The Carvin is a neck-thru. (... and a very nice one... great neck profile on that one!)

I like all my guitars to sound different... they inspire different types of playing, different riffs, different feel. Having a bunch of guitars that sound similar or the same strikes me as not very interesting nor much fun.
Me too. And I suppose Zero too, since he's trying to get away from actives :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Get Wolfetone to wind you a sixer version of the JB rewind Mike and I have. That pickup absolutely loves alder.

·
Carvin Crazy
119 Posts
Well, the Duncan pickup wizard recommends the Alnico II Pro in the neck and Custom-Custom in the bridge.
Says they work well for guitars that are on the brighter side.

I haven't tried it yet, myself.
But, am thinking about it for my Carvin DC400. Maple neck thru, flame maple top, poplar wings, ebony board.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
The last Soloist I picked up from Jackson's CS has a Custom 5 in the bridge. I'm not sure if that's their "go to" pickup now. But it sounds absolutely phenomenal. In fact it's the only time I didn't rip out the stock pickups in a Soloist. Wood combo is similar to what you're working with (alder body/maple neck-thru).

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Alnico II Pro, especially in the neck. However, it's a darker, lower-output pickup (it's Slash's humbucker of choice) so that might not be up your alley.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Only you can't get the Alternative 8 in a seven-string version. (Assuming that Zero's incoming guitar is a seven.)

I've asked Frank Falbo about getting the Custom-7 with an Alnico 8 magnet, and he said they haven't been able to find a source for A8 magnets in the right dimensions for a 7-string pickup. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Zero has said he likes the SD Custom, and you guys are steering him towards the alnico stuff. I don't think that's what he's looking for. ;)

I have a SD Custom in my Soloist Pro, which is the same woods/construction, but to be honest I prefer the SD Distortion for guitars with maple necks. The Distortion has a fatter top end that doesn't get as "shrieky" as the Custom. Basically, if you like the sound of a Blackout or an EMG-81 in the bridge but want passives, get a Distortion.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Zero has said he likes the SD Custom, and you guys are steering him towards the alnico stuff. I don't think that's what he's looking for. ;)

I have a SD Custom in my Soloist Pro, which is the same woods/construction, but to be honest I prefer the SD Distortion for guitars with maple necks. The Distortion has a fatter top end that doesn't get as "shrieky" as the Custom. Basically, if you like the sound of a Blackout or an EMG-81 in the bridge but want passives, get a Distortion.
I had a Distortion in my KV2 and couldn't +1 you more, I just didn't think it would be sonically similar to the Blackout (which again I'm guessing was the goal). How would you say Distortion compares to the SH-5 Custom?

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ryan, Jay's Mustaine Pro has a Distortion in the Bridge, right? Or was that in the neck with a full Shred in the bridge?

And yes, the end goal is to find something voiced similarly to the blackout, but passive. Keep in mind, thought, that DMZ and Duncan are not the only things I'm willing to lok at, I've got no problems with boutique manufacturers, I just wasn't gona drop $150 on a bareknuckle without being fully aware of what all my options are.

I hear wolfe can be kinda unreliable...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Ryan, Jay's Mustaine Pro has a Distortion in the Bridge, right? Or was that in the neck with a full Shred in the bridge?
You working on a 6 or a 7?

The King V Pro has "Jackson" branded pickups, the neck pup has blades.

Some quick reading reveals the neck may be a Bill Lawrence XL500, and the bridge a Jackson 90 series. I can't verify that 100%, but I know Jay's are the stock pups. They are pretty hot and upper-midrange heavy.

The output of the Blackouts is immense, but I would call them pretty well balanced overall. Perhaps more low-mids than high-mids, strong but not sharp treble, and deep yet tight bass. I like my Evo7 for it's balanced quality, but the mid-voicing is different than a Blackout for sure.

You might have to pick up your Wolfes are Noodles' house from what I've read. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I have a Blackout in the bridge position of my Les Paul and had a Distortion in there previously. I would say that the Distortion is roughly comparable, though it's more like an EMG-81. Frankly, I'm a little sick of the Blackout bridge version, since it's just too hot to be usable for anything I do. An SH-5 Custom is going to have a lot more of an "icepick to the forehead" feel than the Distortion does, at least that's been my experience in numerous guitars. I'm a big fan of the Distortion--it's easily the best ceramic pickup I've ever used. I'm going to go Alnico with my Soloist Pro, but I'd probably switch it to a Distortion otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Well, the Duncan pickup wizard recommends the Alnico II Pro in the neck and Custom-Custom in the bridge.
Says they work well for guitars that are on the brighter side.

I haven't tried it yet, myself.
But, am thinking about it for my Carvin DC400. Maple neck thru, flame maple top, poplar wings, ebony board.
Hey Kent welcome to the board, glad to see you brother :)

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also, yeah, this is a 6-string guitar. I think I'm gonna head over to GC sometime this week and try out a bunch of duncan-equipped jacksons, see which ones sound good.

What about for the neck? I almost always gravitate towards the Jazz, but I'm also considering something like the P-Rails. The axe is routed for a 5-way switch and I've got an extra push-pull 500k, so it's a possibility. use the push-pull as a blower switch, and set it up like a 3-pickup guitar, and have Humbucker, SC, and P-90 tone all at once :D

Maybe I'll get wacky and also get one of those SD triple shots, and only use a 3-way switch. I kinda like that setup better, plus, more switches = more tone.

thoughts? For bridge I've got it narrowed down to the Duncan Distortion, but I'd still like to hear about your experiences with some of the higher-end pickup manufacturers, like Motor City and Bareknuckles that aren't the Warpigs. I know Donnie had some stuff from MCP, but I forget what he had.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts