Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after playing it a while and really kinda digging it, I've decided I'm keeping my PRS SE Baritone even if it's just to have fun with once in a while. So... I'd like to find a slightly more expressive pickup.

I don't want anything that's too muddy and I want to stay passive.

Probably won't pull the trigger on it for a few weeks. It's low on my priority list.

In researching, a common pickup that was mentioned several times was DiMarzio D-Activators.

Thoughts? Thanks guys.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I had d activators in mine and wasn't too fond of them.

I stuck a lundgren m6 in though and it gave me a raging clue.

I also really liked the Dimarzio Titan in there too.

Reactions: Assault Bacon

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had d activators in mine and wasn't too fond of them.

I stuck a lundgren m6 in though and it gave me a raging clue.

I also really liked the Dimarzio Titan in there too.
Thanks, man. The idea is to decide which way to go and then keep an eye out on the interwebs.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Baritones love a vintage sounding pickup. The original Ibanez Mushok model had Super 58s in it and they sounded awesome. I'd say something like. PAF pro or a Norton would work well in it. I had a Norton in the bridge of my AX110L baritone and it sounded awesome in the mahogany.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, I may have found something. I traded a set of EMG 81/89 for the pickups out of another guy's guitar. His guitar is at a shop swapping pups right now and when it's all done, I'll have a set of cream/black SD JB/59.

I'm going to stuff them in the baritone and see what happens. It may not be what I'm looking for, but it's worth a shot and they're free.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Try the JB/59 with a pair of push/pull pots for series/parallel switching on each pickup. It tames the output a bit and gives you a more open, slightly more glassy tone, which I think would work really nicely with a baritone.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try the JB/59 with a pair of push/pull pots for series/parallel switching on each pickup. It tames the output a bit and gives you a more open, slightly more glassy tone, which I think would work really nicely with a baritone.
I just might do that. Thank you.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

The JB is a tweaker's pickup. You really have to spend time dialing the overall and individual pole piece heights.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it's definitely happening. I got word a bit ago that the guy I'm trading with was thrilled with the EMG swap, so I'm taking the baritone in on Monday to have the JB/59 set installed.

Seriously considering the push/pull pots as was suggested.

·
Banned
130 Posts
PAF pro. Stay low output as possible for the best baro tones. The JB isn't unreasonably hot, but I find them too "cocked wah" sounding in many guitars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts