Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so first and foremost: I am a refuge from HC.

Now, over there there is lots of GFS love. Others say it is crap. Chances are the same is here but you guys are more rock/metal instead of the blues basis over there.

Who has used GFS, duncan, etc, and what was your experience?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:lol: This is an AWFULLY strange first question, considering a just-banned new member was just complaining over at HC about how when he asked for a recommendation over which GFS pickup he should get, pretty much everyone told him not to bother because they were a downgrade over what was in his Strat already.

So, um, what's your story? Why exactly are you asking? This is way too strange to be a coincidence, and I think you know that as well as we do.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Hmm. Either he's more clever than your average douchebag or this is a different guy. Is there an HC thread about RockQ's being all butthurt, too?

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:lol: This is an AWFULLY strange first question, considering a just-banned new member was just complaining over at HC about how when he asked for a recommendation over which GFS pickup he should get, pretty much everyone told him not to bother because they were a downgrade over what was in his Strat already.

So, um, what's your story? Why exactly are you asking? This is way too strange to be a coincidence, and I think you know that as well as we do.
Actually, it is a coincidence. Just looking for another perspective.

Anyway, I have a guitar coming, built by benford, 3 Humbuckers. Wasn't sure what I wanted to put in so he is putting in Mightymite bluesbuckers as a starting point cause they are cheap. They will almost certainly be replaced, but not having used a lot of different pickup types (GFS or otherwise) I am not clear what I want to put in.

Now, I have a partscaster strat with 3 duncans (JB, duckbucker, and I think a little 59) that sounds great through my Peavey Ultra. But those are single coil sized buckers in a different guitar.

So, getting some thoughts about different brands and experiences. I can't try different pups without BUYING a bunch of them, which gets expensive. GFS is cheaper, but if they don't work that is still money down the drain. So, I am trying to make an educated guess. HC is very biased towards certain things, which has led me both right and wrong in the past.

So... like I said, another perspective.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Hmm. Either he's more clever than your average douchebag or this is a different guy. Is there an HC thread about RockQ's being all butthurt, too?
I haven't run an IP check or anything, but it doesn't feel right - I think this is a different guy, but whether or not he's a buddy trolling or just someone who's really interested in how the metal community feels about GFS is of course potentially a different story.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't run an IP check or anything, but it doesn't feel right - I think this is a different guy, but whether or not he's a buddy trolling or just someone who's really interested in how the metal community feels about GFS is of course potentially a different story.
Different guy, the other guy is apparently a crazy weirdo (I read part of the thread someone linked) and I am not here to troll/annoy. Thanks for not banning me on reflex.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
a good rule of thumb is to ban anyone who says anything that contains "gfs":lol:

If it really is a different guy, we arnt trying to be dicks. The other guy just beat the gfs stuff into the ground and pissed us off

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Well, I gave him a 27-page thread to read up on, so let's wait and see. :D

EDIT:
a good rule of thumb is to ban anyone who says anything that contains "gfs":lol:

If it really is a different guy, we arnt trying to be dicks. The other guy just beat the gfs stuff into the ground and pissed us off
I really love GFS. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Different guy, the other guy is apparently a crazy weirdo (I read part of the thread someone linked) and I am not here to troll/annoy. Thanks for not banning me on reflex.
Are you devoutly christian? Are your parents going through divorce just now? :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Actually, it is a coincidence. Just looking for another perspective.

Anyway, I have a guitar coming, built by benford, 3 Humbuckers. Wasn't sure what I wanted to put in so he is putting in Mightymite bluesbuckers as a starting point cause they are cheap. They will almost certainly be replaced, but not having used a lot of different pickup types (GFS or otherwise) I am not clear what I want to put in.

Now, I have a partscaster strat with 3 duncans (JB, duckbucker, and I think a little 59) that sounds great through my Peavey Ultra. But those are single coil sized buckers in a different guitar.

So, getting some thoughts about different brands and experiences. I can't try different pups without BUYING a bunch of them, which gets expensive. GFS is cheaper, but if they don't work that is still money down the drain. So, I am trying to make an educated guess. HC is very biased towards certain things, which has led me both right and wrong in the past.

So... like I said, another perspective.
Forgive me for being paranoid as fuck, it's that kind of a day. :D

What's the guitar made out of? Body and neck? What scale? It'll be played mostly through a Peavey Ultra? What kind of a tone are you after? Either a description or a couple players whose tone you really dig? Are you mostly an alternate picker, a legato player, a sweeper, or some sort of a mix...? How would you describe your playing style? Do you have a light or heavy picking hand? That partscaster... is it alder? ash? something else? What's the fretboard? What do you like or dislike about the pickups in it now?

Kind of a lot of questions, but if you're serious about wanting some input, a bit more info would probably go a long way towards helping you out here.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Drew, lay off those buds, ok buddy?

:lol: Cock. :D

I just bought a pair, in blue, to leave permanently hooked up to my Profire 2626. For anyone from HC reading this, this thread will go a long way towards making me sound marginally less crazy.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgive me for being paranoid as fuck, it's that kind of a day. :D

What's the guitar made out of? Body and neck? What scale? It'll be played mostly through a Peavey Ultra? What kind of a tone are you after? Either a description or a couple players whose tone you really dig? Are you mostly an alternate picker, a legato player, a sweeper, or some sort of a mix...? How would you describe your playing style? Do you have a light or heavy picking hand? That partscaster... is it alder? ash? something else? What's the fretboard? What do you like or dislike about the pickups in it now?

Kind of a lot of questions, but if you're serious about wanting some input, a bit more info would probably go a long way towards helping you out here.
Awesome.

The partscaster body is alder... *I THINK*. It has a solid finish so I can't tell directly and I bought it as a unit. Neck is normal maple/rosewood. The body is routed and has an American strat trem on it, which is why I suspect Alder as that is the typical strat wood. If you have a way to tell easily without ripping the guitar apart (something I am hesistant to do as it plays perfectly)... all ears.

Playing style is blues-y slides and bends with some sweeps and small legato for flavor.

New guitar is basically a tele but made for metal. Currently the build plan is alder body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard. The body wood MIGHT change depending on what is needed to get the look I wanted. It will have a wilkenson trem, strat control layout (if it matters).

What I like about the current pickups... first, they sound good both with and without gain. They have this kind of hollow wail, I don't know how else to describe it. Neck pup is deep without muddy with a good thud. Bridge cuts but isn't piercing (as long as I don't have the treble up too high on the amp). That said, I do roll the tone down on the bridge regularly when playing clean.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts