Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Not sure if there's any jig out there to do it on a radius fretboard. I think usually they're cut before radius.
I dunno why you're so anal about some stuff, then the next minute you're covering holes with electrical tape .
How many craps did you hold in as a child?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Not sure if there's any jig out there to do it on a radius fretboard. I think usually they're cut before radius.
I dunno why you're so anal about some stuff, then the next minute you're covering holes with electrical tape .
How many craps did you hold in as a child?
I gather he has cheap guitars that he experiments on, and nicer guitars that he want's to do "right". :shrug:

·
Banned
130 Posts
I would make a few different templates, one for each ledge depth. I would reference them from the pivot pin locations.

Use a google image search for "XXXXX tremolo routing template." There are some great dimensioned drawings of the features.

Surely, you have used a router before, but you will need to lock that shit down for routing. That machine can seriously fuck up things that come loose during cutting. Including your body.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used this to route the nut shelf for floyd nuts:
Saddle Routing Jig | stewmac.com
That's interesting, how did it turn out?

I gather he has cheap guitars that he experiments on, and nicer guitars that he want's to do "right". :shrug:
Well, I do stuff to just about all guitars I've had, for bad or for worse. Or good!

I would make a few different templates, one for each ledge depth. I would reference them from the pivot pin locations.

Use a google image search for "XXXXX tremolo routing template." There are some great dimensioned drawings of the features.

Surely, you have used a router before, but you will need to lock that shit down for routing. That machine can seriously fuck up things that come loose during cutting. Including your body.
I'm talking the SHELF :rofl:

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Isn't there a big risk of chopping off the fretboard?
You would be surprised how much control you have with a good razor sharp chisel.
An out of control router will do way more damage

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
:hesright:

This is one of those things where the scalpel is better than the chainsaw. You could use a router for it, but it is so much hassle trying to get it to stay flat and level and not tear our any of the fretboard end. A nice sharp chisel, like REAL sharp, and some practice with a steady hand will get the job done.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Isn't there a big risk of chopping off the fretboard?
No. First, saw a line at the end of the fingerboard to the required depth. Now pare across the grain a little more than halfway across the neck, go to the other side of the neck and again pare across a little more than halfway across. As long as you don't pass the edge of the neck you won't blow out the edges.

Take the time you would spend making a jig and do a little chisel practice. I've been trying to do that myself, and it's surprising how much quicker hand tools can be with a little practice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts