Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I love that record so much! This song got me into them back then, the epic intro, the first riff...then the super-evilness when Shaefers vocals start...perfect song, perfect record!

Also - Kelly Shaefer and Steve Flynn were super amazing guys (despite Kelly beeing propably the "greenest" person in whole Vienna that evening, if you know what i mean :D ), we played together with them last summer and, i'm still thinking about that evening. It was great, Obscura also played.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mother Man was the first song I heard by them and I got hooked right when I heard that song. I went out and bought Unquestionable Presence the very next day. :lol: It wasn't long before I had their whole discography.

Kelly is very very very pro-legalizing marijuana in the states. They dedicate Mother Man to its legalization at like most of their shows. :lol: (or at least they used to)

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Great album/band...I prefer Unquestionable Presence, but P.o.T is a classic in it's own right.

I never could get into Elements though...was really dissapointed when that came out. Yeah, a lot of people love it, but to me it was boring. I'm really looking forward to their new one, from the buzz it's going to be in the Unquestionable Presence mould...I really hope so.. :)

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
Great album/band...I prefer Unquestionable Presence, but P.o.T is a classic in it's own right.

I never could get into Elements though...was really dissapointed when that came out. Yeah, a lot of people love it, but to me it was boring. I'm really looking forward to their new one, from the buzz it's going to be in the Unquestionable Presence mould...I really hope so.. :)
+1000
Exactly my sentiments

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I've never really listened to Atheist. This is pretty sweet. Great fucking thrash, but with almost modern death metal kind of sensibility. I like the singing, too. Reminds me of that old Christian metal group Vengeance Rising a little. (How appropriate in a thread about a band called 'Athiest,' eh? :lol:)

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I'm kind of upset for the new album, I was hoping for the "Unquestionable Presence" line-up, but then saw this and was sad.

On August 3, 2010, Kelly Shaefer and Steve Flynn announced on behalf of the band that Atheist have parted ways with Tony Choy.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Unquestionable Presence is my favorite Atheist album, but I absolutely LOVE Elements. :lol:

Songs like this one:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never really listened to Atheist. This is pretty sweet. Great fucking thrash, but with almost modern death metal kind of sensibility. I like the singing, too. Reminds me of that old Christian metal group Vengeance Rising a little. (How appropriate in a thread about a band called 'Athiest,' eh? :lol:)
Atheist were pretty much the first technical death metal band and the jazziest of the bands that were considered "jazz metal." They even had a song called "Samba Briza" with pianos and jazz guitar and the drummer on their last album was actually a jazz drummer.

Their first album is really thrashy, but their second album really took off with the odd-time-signature-after-odd-time-signature-after-odd-time-signature method. :lol:

If you haven't heard them before, these are two of their most famous tracks (and arguably best tracks):

and

Atheist had one of the best bassists in metal, but unfortunately he died the same way Cliff Burton did. :(

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Yeah, it is a shame he had to pass, it seems all the good ones (not just musicians, but also people) do once things start going right for them :( Also sucks that what I imagine was his baby, the bass lines for U.P., were played by someone else.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it is a shame he had to pass, it seems all the good ones (not just musicians, but also people) do once things start going right for them :( Also sucks that what I imagine was his baby, the bass lines for U.P., were played by someone else.
Tony Choy is an amazing bass player, but, like you said, the bass parts that he plays on Unquestionable Presence were written by Roger Patterson. I have the special edition with the pre-production tracks which Roger Patterson plays and Tony Choy plays them pretty much note for note.

:(

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Tony Choy is an amazing bass player, but, like you said, the bass parts that he plays on Unquestionable Presence were written by Roger Patterson. I have the special edition with the pre-production tracks which Roger Patterson plays and Tony Choy plays them pretty much note for note.

:(
Pretty sure I have that same edition, since I have the regular tracks, pre-production, and SOME songs that are just guitar and others that are drums & bass - the latter are phenomenal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.