Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised, here's the picstory of modifying my new white Xiphos.

First we need tools:

Then we'll need parts:

List of Parts:
Black Original Floyd Rose(used)
Black Humbucker Rings
Black Tuners(generic lefthanded)
Black dome knobs with white pearl tops
Shorter trem block for OFR
Saddle shims for OFR

The patient:

The tunes:

First thing is get rid of the original hardware:

Then we take a dremel to the bridge rout so the OFR will fit, fun fun:

Done! Now to touch it up with some white paint:

Level and re-crown!

Dye the fretboard:

At this point I was expecting my pickups to come in. They did not. So, thinking it would only be another day or so, I installed the extra pots I had laying around.

A week and a half later I finally get my pickups. It seems some shops don't feel they need to have items in stock that they list on ebay. DOH!

Anyway, new pickup day!

One Blackout Neck in white, one Blackout Metal Bridge in white. Yay!

New tunes administered:

Wiring:

Finally, put together! Now I just need a suitable strap. I think this matches:

Now for some big ass pictures of the completed mod:

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!!! :lol:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! :metal:

I wish I had a blooper reel for this. I put the short block on the floyd backwards, and didn't know until I was trying to put the springs into it, strings already in the bridge. I could not figure out why they wouldn't stay in the trem block. Cussing up a storm at it! Had to pull the whole thing apart again to fix it. :lol:

As for the OFR, well I need to cut up some mousepad for that trem rout. Pull up without paying attention and go to far, the strings fret out against the intonation screws. Fail. Also it's stiff as crap compared to what I'm used to. I'll live though. ;)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
White guitars + black hardware = win :metal:

Reactions: Toshiro

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Nice choice of tunes, too. :yesway:

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Nice work! The black on white color scheme is classy!

I notice you did your fret level without any pressure on the neck. Do you notice a big difference in the result doing it this way as compared to using a neck jig? Thanks, I'm a fret leveling n00b :)

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work! The black on white color scheme is classy!

I notice you did your fret level without any pressure on the neck. Do you notice a big difference in the result doing it this way as compared to using a neck jig? Thanks, I'm a fret leveling n00b :)
Never had a neck jig to try. I learned the old fashioned way(I did not have the neck in that support when leveling). :lol: Kinda did after shots with the camera.. heh The way I learned is to straighten the neck out as close as possible with the strings off using a straight edge as a guide, then level the frets.

The neck jig probably does a better job, I just can't justify the expense when this way work perfectly fine.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
What kinda tape did you use for covering the fretboard? And how did you size it for each fret?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts