Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of different ways to hold a pick for pinch harmonics. The only way I can get them consistently is if I hold the pick like so:

Obviously this is so right after the pick strikes, my thumb hits the string. Works like a charm, except on upstrokes :lol:.

But! Everyone I see in real life and on the internet does it differently, except they all hold the pick so it hangs over the index finger. I cannot get it to work that way. Normally, I wouldn't care about it, but this holding position leaves my hand all cramped up and hurting if I hold the pick like this for more than 30 seconds or so (deathgrip!). As you can see my entire thumb basically squishes down under my hand in this pic:

So, other than me being weird, what's up with pinch harmonics? How do you hold the pick?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You can kind of see how I do it in this absofuckinglutely obnoxious video that I made for a buddy. :lol:

It's sexy though, because I'm playing the Brian Moore that smells like Donnie.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Niiiice.

Looks like rolling the side of your thumb down slightly, unless something is going on with your index finger I can't see? Shouldn't be too difficult just not to move the pick back as far as I normally do. I'll have to experiment.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I actually don't move the pick at all, it's more in tapping the string with the corner of my thumb - the pick stays in the same spot.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ah. I see it now! Got one by stealing your technique, too. Huzzah!
:yesway: Definitely keep at it, it'll just click one day and you'll nail them every time going forward.

I hold the pick really unconventionally though, so definitely don't pick like I do. :lol: I grew up on speed metal in the 80s, and I just can't hold it the right/traditional way.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pft. I already fail at conventional pick holding. I'm working on it, though.

Coolness. I have to break myself of doing it the weird way, because it's second nature now, but I can see this catching on.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I actually don't move the pick at all, it's more in tapping the string with the corner of my thumb - the pick stays in the same spot.
:agreed: What Chris says. He is very correct.

I also have a very unconventional way of picking... which people point out every single time I post a video. :squint: But it works for me, so I have no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
What i found to be an easy way to do it is to start unplugged, you should be able to hear the pinch; once you master that then plug in and play with the gain till you have enough gain to let it ring but not so much that your sound isn't tight any more.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Iplay unplugged a lot. It helped me discover part of the problem is one of my guitars. The Harmony I swirled has a lot of problems, mostly just crappy hardware I can't afford to replace just yet. For some reason the sustain on that guitar for pinch harmonics is about zero. Sustain in general sucks on that guitar. On the Epiphone or any of my other guitars, I can get things to ring out forever.

Naren- Yup. My picking sucks otherwise I'd leave my unconventional ways be. Gotta take a break from building the left hand and work on right hand technique.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:yesway: Definitely keep at it, it'll just click one day and you'll nail them every time going forward.

I hold the pick really unconventionally though, so definitely don't pick like I do. :lol: I grew up on speed metal in the 80s, and I just can't hold it the right/traditional way.
I hold my pick the same way and I have never had a problem especially after witching to Jazz sixed picks because then the pick wouldnt spin inbetween my fingers. FWIW

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Well, looks like Chris already took care of this one. Just to reiterate, you shouldn't have to hold you pick differently to get them. Really, if you hold your pick close to the tip (which you should be doing :squint:), all it takes is to dig in a little more and maybe a slight "scoop" and you will be all like 'BWRRWRWWRWEWRWEEEEEEEEEP'. Metal. :yesway:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts