Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Heavy Rhythm Player
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My birthday is coming up in 3 days, and I'll probably get around $250 from my relatives and family friends. I've been thinking about building a cheap parts-caster for a while too, so I feel like this is the perfect time to build one.

I was just wondering, what are the best options out there? I'm planning on getting an unfinished strat style body, a gold FR knockoff and a Bannana shaped neck, because I want to paint the body green and paint a gold tri-force beneath the bridge. I've been looking at Guitar Fetish (in particular, "Dinky" style HH body cut for Floyd Rose Trem. Solid Poplar No Finish. and Gold Floyd Rose "Fastloader" Locking tremolo system ) but I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions about Guitar Fetish's customer service, QC, and neck sizes.

So I've been looking around for a different place to get these things, while being under $300. I know that's a very, VERY tight budget but that doesn't include electronics, which I will get at a later time. Does anyone have personal recommendations for parts-casters?

(also, I know this likely wont be an amazing guitar, but I really don't mind. I just want to make a cheap parts-caster for the experience, that I can still play relatively well)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That GFS trem is just awful. I used one on a cheap partscaster years back and wished that I'd spent the money on a real Floyd. Hell, you can get a Floyd Rose Special for about that same price, which will be a MUCH better trem.

Also, check eBay for Warmoth parts and/or Fender/Squier parts. You can get necks and bodies surprisingly cheap.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
$300 is going to be tough. I'd watch ebay, and get parts as cheap as you can. Cheaper tuners and a cheap bridge will frustrate you to no end. Good luck!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Any options of getting a used mim strat and doing a refin?

·
Heavy Rhythm Player
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll just buy the parts on ebay, but I have a few concerns:
1: Is it easy to change a neck slot on a guitar? I want to get a Kramer neck and put it in a Warmoth guitar (which will probably have a stratocaster slot) and I just want to know if I'll just need to sand it a bit or if it's something I'll have to take to a guitar shop.
2: Will I have any problems fitting a Floyd Rose Special in a Recessed Floyd Rose Original route? I'm assuming it's just a drop-in, I just want to be sure.

Wirelessly posted

Any options of getting a used mim strat and doing a refin?
I know this logic will sound really stupid to most people, but I already own a MIM strat so I don't want to buy another one.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
1) It depends on how much change is needed. Neck pockets can vary a little bit.

2) Yes, the Special should be a drop-in fit for an OFR cavity.

·
Heavy Rhythm Player
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you wanna build the whole guitar?
Yeah, I know I'll still have to also get tuners, springs, pots, pickups, and knobs but right now I'm just getting the body and neck as a starting point.

1) It depends on how much change is needed. Neck pockets can vary a little bit.

2) Yes, the Special should be a drop-in fit for an OFR cavity.
Thank you!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I have 1.5 MIM strats (one has a swapped body). I understand, though if one of your strats will now have a floyd and bucker (unless yours is hss) they wont be remotely the same.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
My birthday is coming up in 3 days, and I'll probably get around $250 from my relatives and family friends. I've been thinking about building a cheap parts-caster for a while too, so I feel like this is the perfect time to build one.
Even if you're buying used off ebay, that's awfully tough to do for your budget. Hardware alone, let's say you can snag an OFR for $100 in pretty good shape, and a pair of humbuckers for $60/ea - right there you're already up to $220, and you don't even have a body or neck.

My suggestion would be first to keep saving, but if you want to get started now go out and try to find a used Mexican Strat for $250-300 or so. Then, plan on gradually upgrading parts - nmaybe grabbing a H-H pickguard and a pair of humbuckers down the road, consider swapping the bridge for some sort of upgraded Strat-style brige (Wilkinson makes a really solid 6-point bridge, or you could pay a shop to install two trem studs to either use a good strat style two-point trem, and here again I'd look at Wilkinson, or route the thing for a Floyd).

Essentially, get a guitar you can have fun playing right now, and gradually mod it to your specs. It'll be more fun that way, I would imagine, and you can play a bunch of them before buying so you know what the guitar will play like before you buy, meaning you're less likely to get a lemon of a neck, or have to worry about if the body and neck will fit.

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
If you decide to go the Guitar Fetish route and get a Dinky body and neck, let us know what happens. I've eyed those up as a possible cheap Jackson parts guitar but I was going to look elsewhere for trem and tuners.

But then I decided I'd just check out used Jacksons @ my local shop to see if they'd get in anything I'd like, then use that as my modding platform.

But I haven't given up on the idea - I'd just like somebody else to do it first!

·
Heavy Rhythm Player
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even if you're buying used off ebay, that's awfully tough to do for your budget. Hardware alone, let's say you can snag an OFR for $100 in pretty good shape, and a pair of humbuckers for $60/ea - right there you're already up to $220, and you don't even have a body or neck.

My suggestion would be first to keep saving, but if you want to get started now go out and try to find a used Mexican Strat for $250-300 or so. Then, plan on gradually upgrading parts - nmaybe grabbing a H-H pickguard and a pair of humbuckers down the road, consider swapping the bridge for some sort of upgraded Strat-style brige (Wilkinson makes a really solid 6-point bridge, or you could pay a shop to install two trem studs to either use a good strat style two-point trem, and here again I'd look at Wilkinson, or route the thing for a Floyd).

Essentially, get a guitar you can have fun playing right now, and gradually mod it to your specs. It'll be more fun that way, I would imagine, and you can play a bunch of them before buying so you know what the guitar will play like before you buy, meaning you're less likely to get a lemon of a neck, or have to worry about if the body and neck will fit.
I think I mentioned this earlier, I'm gonna get all the electronics later. I'm actually thinking of getting the pickups out of my other guitars when I change their pickups and upgrading the pickups in the partscaster later, which means it will probably only be playable (through an amplifier) around Christmas.

@Louis94: Most guitar kits look pretty sketchy to me, so I think I'll just buy some good stuff I found on eBay the other day.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Have you considered a hardtail? Trems (especially Floyds) are expensive if you want something that actually works. There's far fewer parts in a hardtail which means it should be cheaper to get something that functions. Floyd clones are also a right pain to set-up if you don't know what you're doing (they're also a right pain to set up if you do know what you're doing in my opinion).

In terms of other parts, I'd get a good body and neck and crap hardware. You can then upgrade the hardware later, but at least you've got a solid foundation. I don't know how much they would cost in the US, but Irongear pickups are amazing for the price.

EDIT: Have you considered a Barncaster?
Not tried them myself, but the quality looks good and it's cheaper than quite a lot of stuff going around. Looks good too!

·
Read Only
1 Posts
instead of building a partscaster just buy an LTD ST213FR

they have them on amazon for 299

you can probably find one cheaper online if you look around a bit

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

I also really like the look of Precision Guitar Kits. They seem to get fantastic reviews.
https://buy.precisionguitarkits.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
I built a frankie style strat using a GFS closeout body and a Kramer style reverse neck from Dragonfire guitars. I had an issue with scale length and had to extend the neck pocket farther into the body to get the correct scale length.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts