Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just finished this up today, thought I would post it here as well. It is a play-through of my song, Unexpected Events. There are a few mistakes in there, and as I am horrible at editing, it was either live with them are take a whole new take for the entire song, and I am lazy sooo......:rofl:

This is more of a performance thing than a "mixing" thing.

Please let me know what you think, I would be grateful to get your opinions/criticisms.

Sean

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Damn, you've got some chops. Nice!

Purely as constructive criticism, I would only say that you might want to work on smoothing out the transitions between phrases. Here and there, your transitions are a bit tentative. That's really just a nuance thing, though. Overall, your legato feel is excellent.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, you've got some chops. Nice!

Purely as constructive criticism, I would only say that you might want to work on smoothing out the transitions between phrases. Here and there, your transitions are a bit tentative. That's really just a nuance thing, though. Overall, your legato feel is excellent.
Thanks a ton man! Yeah I do need to do a lot of work on phrasing, and vibrato :ugh:.

I really appreciate the advice/constructive criticism. I realize I have a lot to work out, but it is invaluable to me to have other players point out what is off.

Props for listening and for such a useful comment!

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like it. A few little slip-ups here and there that I'm sure you know about. I thought the shreddy bits were well placed and tastefully done. Looking forward to the finished track.
Thanks a lot man! That was my goal for this song, to try to convince myself that a melody could be carried through shred techniques. Seems to have worked out pretty well. Although, I must say, some of my favorite phrases in this song are the slower ones.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It always works out that way, for some reason.

BTW, your vibrato is fine. In fact, I'd say you should use it a little more often in this piece.
You wouldn't have said my vibrato was fine 2 months ago :ugh:.

I had to do a lot of work on it, because I used to be one of those "no style" players. Which is a kind way of saying that I could play a lot, but it all sounded like shit :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
That was fucking awesome dude. Like has been mentioned before, there are a few hiccups on the transitions but nothing that can't be solved by rehearsing. I've listened to it three times now, incredible work. The sweeps are just right; tasteful accents, not overdone as per the trend. And the part right after the tapping where you start the run up the fretboard (around 2:00) is downright killer. I'm already busy wishing I could play something like this. Bravo, keep up the good work and keep us updated as you master this beast. :metal:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! Huge compliments there and I am very grateful for them! I am thinking about extending this song and adding some sections so that it is a little less repetitive sounding. Then I will practice the shit out of it and make a better video!

Thanks again everybody.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts