Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'd like to pick u p small-ish tube head. I'm having a fair amount of success using my vetta as my main rig but it has left me craving something tubey for home use and due to the age of the vetta it would ease my nerves to have a backup so it woul be nice if it could get over our very loud drummer. So I'm looking for something not more than 50 watts and no more than £600.

Amps I'm considering:-

Orange th30 - a little larger than I'd like but simple and great tone
Dual terror - perfect size but perhaps not enough gain?
Egnater tweaker 40 - looks interesting don't know much about it.
Engl thunder 50 - I've gassed hard for this in the past but would really like something with more character this time

I'm playing stream of passion early within temptation stuff but I also want to be able to get some hard rock/blues tones as well.

Tganks guys

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

·
Pretty Oblivious
349 Posts
TH30. No question. plenty of gain, quite better than the Dual Terror in my opinion, though the TH30 costs almost twice as much, but will serve your needs a bit better.

The dual terror handles Blues and rock pretty well if you spend some time tweaking it.

Overall two great amps, The TH30 just has better overdriven tones

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really after small in size so I can chuck it in the car as gig back up and less tubes to buy when retube time comes around if I was gonna do the full size head thing I'm more likely to get an engl fireball dunno why but there's just something about those.

·
Pretty Oblivious
349 Posts
I'm really after small in size so I can chuck it in the car as gig back up and less tubes to buy when retube time comes around if I was gonna do the full size head thing I'm more likely to get an engl fireball dunno why but there's just something about those.
If that's the case, go with the dual terror, like you said, It's good sized and a good amp, and the second most affordable on your list. you won't be disapointed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5150>>>fireball
I like the 5150 don't get me wrong but the fireball just does it for me even more than the more expensive engle heads it's got an edge I really like.

I am looking at the engl small heads but right now I'm leaning towards the th30 I guess I'll have to try a few iv heard the dual and th30 don't cut it in a band situation?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
The Fireball will get absolutely drowned by anything other than another Fireball.
Small head. Gigging backup. You can score a used 5150 III 50w for under £600.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup I think the getting lost in the mix is a common engle issue even my friends invader suffers a bit in that way. Hmmmm I like the 5150 iii mini it's a bit out of my price range new but still a good deal for what it is I think.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

If you can't fit two heads in your car, how much gear are you actually bringing, what do you drive and do you know how to pack :lol:

5150III seems like a solid bet at that price

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tbh it's less the car and more the space at home strangely my other half is less concerned by how much I spend than how much space it takes up plus I'm lazy and don't wanna lug another full size head to every gig. I have a dodge calibur so it's plenty big enough for my gear :)

The orange th30 is edging into the lead right now although I'm scouring the used markets for the 51503

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts