Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recent years there has been this crazy trend with all this crazy maple tops and stuff...

All fine. Each to their own. But can't we agree one one thing;

They only look good on higher end guitars!

The cheaper ones have really blushy tops and just looks boring and uncomplete.

So... WHY MAKE THEM?! It's only a couple waste of money in my opinion.

Personally, I'm a 100% solid color guy. But I'm not making this thread to spew out my subjective visual preference on everybody else, but the actual "cost vs quality" ratio you get.

Raising the price for an ugly low-end flame top is bullshit in my opinion.

For at least $100-200 less you could get the same level quality guitar (I'm talking mid-level Jackson Pro, ESP LTDs and similar guitars) with a solid color instead.

Oh... And don't get me started on the other recent trends; COSMO BLACK HARDWARE AND CHRISTMAS TREE BINDINGS AND INLAYS. Yeah, I'm looking at you, ESP LTD! Use real Black hardware instead, the cosmo black just wears off before the guitar even leaves the music store... (yeah I've seen slightly worn cosmo black hardware in stores that people have just tried out)

I mean... WHAT THE FUCK! They could have sold these guitars for "a lot" less without those stupid features.

Especially the Evertune guitar; why not just solid black? And maybe inlay free fretboard even?

WHAT COULD THE MANUFACTURERS DO INSTEAD?!

Use low level pickups to save money = most people change pickups to their own taste anyway (however I understand if this makes the guitars look "worse" than they actually are, so maybe having real pickups are good anway)

For a modern "high end" look without additional cost = skip inlays entirely. Classy look, for no extra money.

Am I just a grumpy guy with too little money?:nuts: probably!

Anybody agree? :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. To both. :lol:
You're right about my wallet. And I'm glad you're with me in my quest for more affortable mid-level guitars without stupid price raising features that makes nobody happy anyway.

I listen to Extreme, Power and Symphonic Metal though...
I'm sure you windmill and crabwalk by yourself to Blind Guardians latest album in your bedroom

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
I'm sure you windmill and crabwalk by yourself to Blind Guardians latest album in your bedroom
(ok now I'm going overboard with my "joking" here
Yeah, the whole 'joke' was reaching a bit far tbh. I actually hardcore dance to Epica ballads.
Back to the point of the thread,
Your preference is perfectly valid but the way you express your opinion sounds a bit "OH BACK IN MY DAY" and also it gives the idea that you think this thread will change what guitar makers do...

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the whole 'joke' was reaching a bit far tbh. I actually hardcore dance to Epica ballads.
Back to the point of the thread,
Your preference is perfectly valid but the way you express your opinion sounds a bit "OH BACK IN MY DAY" and also it gives the idea that you think this thread will change what guitar makers do...
Yeah, I'm not here to be a doche, I'm just VERY bored and have to entertain myself so... Hahaha. Enough joking today :agreed:

Actaully, I'm only 26 so I'm not even old enough to talk about "back in my days" of RG550s and Charvel Model 6s and stuff like that. I just happen to have a more "functional" taste and I really think the guitars are trying too hard to look "high end" without being so.

I wouldn't mind myself putting together a cool super-strat from Warmoth with a blue or red-dyed quilt maple top if I had the time and money for it, I think it can look cool. But there's really no point in putting out cheap looking maple top guitars that costs more than they should do, quality wise.

Who doesn't?
Well, actually I have the Imaginations From The Other Side CD playing right now :flex:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah, I'm not here to be a doche, I'm just VERY bored and have to entertain myself so... Hahaha. Enough joking today :agreed:

Actaully, I'm only 26 so I'm not even old enough to talk about "back in my days" of RG550s and Charvel Model 6s and stuff like that. I just happen to have a more "functional" taste and I really think the guitars are trying too hard to look "high end" without being so.

I wouldn't mind myself putting together a cool super-strat from Warmoth with a blue or red-dyed quilt maple top if I had the time and money for it, I think it can look cool. But there's really no point in putting out cheap looking maple top guitars that costs more than they should do, quality wise.

Well, actually I have the Imaginations From The Other Side CD playing right now :flex:
I happen to like the "Christmas tree looking binding and inlays" on my EC1000 :(

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I happen to like the "Christmas tree looking binding and inlays" on my EC1000 :(
Of course you can like it, that's fine :)
In this thread I'm just talking about the importance of "functional guitars" vs "overpriced fancy looking guitars".

Wouldn't it be nice to save $100 on that guitar if it didn't have it? It doesn't add anything to the guitars quality.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just get a bloody Blackmachine clone. Simple.
I had to google Blackmachine guitars and all I saw was exactly what I think is wrong with modern day guitars... They only solid color guitars I saw was black satin... That's goona look good after a year glossed up where the arm sweat polishes up the arm contour :ugh:

But that's just me :agreed:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had to google Blackmachine guitars and all I saw was exactly what I think is wrong with modern day guitars... They only solid color guitars I saw was black satin... That's goona look good after a year glossed up where the arm sweat polishes up the arm contour :ugh:

But that's just me :agreed

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wait, you dont like the look of honest wear? Uh oh.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I don't think about solid vs. transparent finishes as much as I do about triple double quadruple bindings, and dual articulated fucking inlay crap.
I just like simple stuff.
One of the things that turns me off about most schecters is all the flashy balogna.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
For a modern "high end" look without additional cost = skip inlays entirely. Classy look, for no extra money.

Am I just a grumpy guy with too little money?:nuts: probably!
A flame or quilt veneer is surprisingly cheap to do. I think the company who got it right, incidentally, is PRS, who uses a veneer on top of a maple cap on their SE line - it gives the tone of a maple top without the expense of 1/4" of quilted maple.

Anyway, there's a ton of solid finish guitars out there. I'll take some sort of a burst over a quilt over another white or black guitar any day. You're just grumpy.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Grumpy...There are enough of painted and figured guitars to go around, no need to worry about that. Also guitars with polished or worn chipped areas a show you play guitar not collect them. Now go put some wear on that pristine guitar you have, at least load the fretboard up with finger goo, it looks extra cool and people know you actually play it a lot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts