Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an RG421 (which had been on my wish list for ages). Since it needed a fret leveling I decided to have it Plek'ed. From what I've read the results are usually amazing. Anyone have a guitar Plek'ed? Is it all it's touted to be?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I was looking at having it done on my AT when it goes in for a refret but the quotes I end up getting are all in the neighborhood of $800+ (as compared to the $500 for most quality guys), I'm not sure if its worth an extra $300 to me. Especially since I'm not a I NEED ACTION AS LOW AS POSSIBLE kind of guy.

Plus I wasn't even sure you could PLEK a compound radius board, at least not easily. Isn't PLEK is a machine that you have to program templates into (I think)?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'll send em one. I've already got quotes from a ton of other places but I'm really hesitant about shipping out for fretwork. For one I would hate to agree upon a price before hand and them have them say after it is done, "Your bill ended up being more.". Refrets are already expensive enough that I would rather pay $5-600 for a truly exceptional one than $400 for a mediocre one.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also my indecision to as whether I want stainless or not. :lol: Some shops do a huge upcharge for that.
Phil Jacoby is doing my work. He's highly recommended all over the web, and also does mail order. He does stainless. You might ask him for a quote: philtone.com

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I've got a Plek'd guitar, Donnie's Warmoth Strat... It's alright, action is decent, but it's really not any better than good fretwork, it's not some magically better experience. I could understand Plek'ing if you need to get out hundreds of fretjobs a day or you manufacture guitars but beyond that it's just a pricey fret job. IMO, of course.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
There's a great writeup here that describes the machine and the process:

Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair Services

Basically, it takes an experienced tech/operator to get the best fret job out of the machine, so like anything else, you can have good Plek jobs and mediocre ones. But it can do compound radius boards, and can even put a compound radius on the frets only (even if the board doesn't have a compound radius) and can even put more relief on the bass side of the neck to accommodate the wider string vibration of the lower strings.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
There's a great writeup here that describes the machine and the process:

Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair Services

Basically, it takes an experienced tech/operator to get the best fret job out of the machine, so like anything else, you can have good Plek jobs and mediocre ones. But it can do compound radius boards, and can even put a compound radius on the frets only (even if the board doesn't have a compound radius) and can even put more relief on the bass side of the neck to accommodate the wider string vibration of the lower strings.
All stuff that can be done equally well by a talented luthier. Just about all of the plek jobs ive played have been fantastic, but nothing i havent seen come out of a skilled techs hands before for <$400

·
Registered
580 Posts
Phil Jacoby is doing my work. He's highly recommended all over the web, and also does mail order. He does stainless. You might ask him for a quote: philtone.com
Actually I would highly NOT recommend this guy. Last year I took my green Interceptor 727 Pro to get refretted and Plek'd and all I got were excuses. He kept my guitar for 3 months, didn't do any of the work (outside of some minor trem adjustments....which to his credit he did for free since he kept the guitar for so long), and then only did the trem work when I threatened to pick up the guitar and go to another tech because I had shows coming up and needed the guitar back.

Unfortunately, he's the only guy I know of MD/DC area with a Plek machine. Which sucks because both of my Carvins need leveling right now.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
While inexcusable, that could very well be chalked up to him being super busy. I doubt hed still be in business if that was the rule and not the exception to his work.Have you considered taking in one of your carvins and being vocal about the fact that youre giving him another shot? if anything, that should inspire extra timely service from the guy.

As you said, its not like he hurt anything, and did comp some work for you. Was the work of decent quality? On an issue like that, I always give techs a second shot. Dont let catching the right guy at the wrong time make you lose out on a good tech. Good techs are invaluable. Vaughn, my tech of choice, took FOREVER once with one of my guitars over something simple, and i didnt go back for a long time, but nowadays, id never have to think twice about taking him something of mine. He got overwhelemed for a while and his service times got shitty for a while, but hes moved past that now, and is an amazing tech.

Im not trying to discredit the issue you had with him, all I'm saying is everyone fucks up sometimes, and finding a worthwhile guitar tech who HASNT gotten severely backed up on occasion borders on impossible. If the work that he did do was good, consider talking to him about the issue and trying it again. If hes worth his salt, hed probably try to make it up to you.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All stuff that can be done equally well by a talented luthier. Just about all of the plek jobs ive played have been fantastic, but nothing i havent seen come out of a skilled techs hands before for <$400
The Plek prices I'm seeing are $150 to $200. I think the larger number quoted earlier includes refretting.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Crossroads Guitar Shop in Alexandria has one. I haven't had them do anything for me, though.
And if you don't need Plek, Action Music in Falls Church has some wizard that does their fret jobs. Mike's Zion may be too low for my taste, but I could not fault the work, since the frets are just way too worn at this point. The crown job is butter, though.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh you just want leveled? Around here I'd anticipate low $100s, can't say out there. Price you named sounds about right for a plek

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
You might check with Glaser Guitars in Nashville. I'm pretty sure he does shipped-in stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
And if you don't need Plek, Action Music in Falls Church has some wizard that does their fret jobs. Mike's Zion may be too low for my taste, but I could not fault the work, since the frets are just way too worn at this point. The crown job is butter, though.
Yeah, that was James Healy. He does killer work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts